Lung Cancer Screening
Call for appointment:410-820-4416 410-820-4416
The Lung Cancer Screening Program at UM Shore Regional Health is offered by UM Shore Medical Group – Pulmonary Care in Cambridge, Chestertown and Easton. Providers in this practice include David G. Oliver, MD, Anna Ahn, MD, Fernando C. DeLeon, MD, Funlola Famuyiwa, MD and Andrew Vranic, MD.
The goal of lung cancer screening is to.detect disease at its earliest and most treatable stage. The screening is conducted through Low Dose Computed Tomography (LDCT), which produces multiple, cross-sectional images of the lungs while using less radiation than a standard CT scan. By providing more detailed images than chest x-rays, LDCT technology enables providers to find disease before symptoms begin; studies indicate that early diagnosis can reduce the likelihood of dying from lung cancer by as much as 20 percent.
Should You Be Screened For Lung Cancer?
If you are between the ages of 50 and 77 with a present or past history of smoking (the equivalent of a pack a day for more than 20 years), you should talk with your primary care provider to see if a referral for LDCT screening is appropriate for you.
- Must be between the ages of 50-77
- Smokers or past smokers, who quit within the past 15 years
- Smoking history equivalent to a pack per day for 20 years
- No signs or symptoms of lung cancer
- Medically able to tolerate treatment for early-stage lung cancer if indicated
Benefits of the Screening Program
- Screening is offered in Chestertown, Cambridge and Easton
- Program is overseen by a board-certified pulmonologist and a certified registered nurse practitioner
- Patients referred to the program are screened for eligibility
- Shared decision-making education
- Referral for smoking cessation
- LDCT screening results sent to primary care provider
- Follow-up is in accordance with the American College of Radiology's Lung-RADS-Assessment categories
- Timely referrals to appropriate specialists in pulmonology, oncology and surgery
For eligible patients, LDCT scanning is covered by Medicare and most private insurance companies. Patients are advised to check with their insurance providers to determine coverage.
For Health Professionals
- Referrals can be made by primary care providers via phone or fax
- Upon receipt of referral, patient will be called to schedule screening appointment
**Lung Cancer Screenings are offered by appointment only.**
- Monday – Thursday: 8:30 am–4 pm
- Friday: 8:30 am–3 pm
- Phone: 410-822-0110, Option 5
- Fax: 410-822-2960