Current Level: Orange (Visitors Very Restricted)
In order to safeguard patients, staff and the community, the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) has put in place system-wide patient safety measures. This approach includes requiring everyone to wear masks and limiting the number of people entering in our facilities.
We understand that many patients need trusted care partners (visitors) to help them heal and maintain their best health. And people with disabilities need designated support persons to provide an even greater level of care.
To balance those needs with our safety measures, we have created a tiered system of color-coded visitation levels that creates more flexibility in visitation as conditions allow.
Current Status: Orange Learn more about the current visitation level.
Who May Visit or Accompany Patients
- Care Partners - Care partners are the family and friends who visit inpatients and may come along to outpatient visits, in some cases. Depending on the visitation level, there will be restrictions on whether you may have care partners, how many and in what circumstances they may visit.
- Designated Support Persons - Patients name these people to be physically present to support them. A designated support person is knowledgeable about the care of the patient and may be a friend, family member, personal care assistant or disability service provider.
- People with disabilities may have at least one designated support person with them at all visitation levels.
- People without disabilities may have a support person in some cases and visitation levels.
- For more about designated support persons, see full UMMS Visitor Policy
- Parents or Guardians of Patients Under Age 18 - Parents and guardians may visit or accompany minor children at all visitation levels, but at some levels there are restrictions on how many and when.
Care Partners and Support Persons Must:
- Be 18 years of age or older unless they are the parent of the patient
- Answer screening questions at check-in related to COVID
- Not be COVID-positive or undergoing quarantine or investigation for COVID
- Follow all infection prevention policies including wearing a mask that covers their nose and mouth at all times
- Follow hospital rules including:
- Food and drink are not permitted.
- No smoking is allowed in any area.
- Care partners may not give patients nicotine-related items or medications or drugs not prescribed by the patient's physician
- No weapons are allowed.
Violation of any policy may result in removal from the premises and barring from further visits.