Call for appointment:410-553-8160 410-553-8160
The Spine and Neuroscience Center at UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center believes education is an essential part of patient success. Being prepared allows patients to play an active role in their care and recovery. Below are some resources to help our spine surgery patients.
UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center offers Spine School, an educational workshop for patients who will have spine surgery at UM BWMC. Spine School is hosted by orthopaedic nurse practitioners who review:
- The type of surgery you will have
- Who is on your care team and how to contact them
- How to prepare for your procedure and hospital stay
- What happens during surgery
- Post-operative recovery in the hospital, including pain management, physical therapy, infection prevention
- Recovery at home and returning to daily activities
- Follow-up care and appointments
Patients are encouraged to bring a family member or support person who will help them throughout the preparation and recovery process. The nurse practitioners leave plenty of time for questions and answers so the group feels prepared and ready for a successful surgery.
- Watch a recorded session of Spine School: Lumbar Spine Surgery
- Watch a recorded session of Spine School: Cervical Spine Surgery
Frequently Asked Questions
Our spine care providers have put together a list of frequently asked questions they receive from patients and their families during appointments and at the Spine School class.
- View our FAQs for lumbar spine surgery.
- View our FAQs for anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF).
University of Maryland Spine Network
UM BWMC is part of the University of Maryland Spine Network, a network of UM spine and neurosurgeons throughout the state who share best practices and a dedicated focus on patient-centered care. Visit their website to view additional patient resources.