CenteringParenting® at University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center
Family-centered, well-child group care bringing parents and babies together through the first two years of life.
CenteringParenting® brings six to eight moms, partners, support people and their same-age infants together to meet with trusted healthcare providers and other parents who are experiencing similar things at the same time. CenteringParenting fosters a safe and supportive environment to ask questions and creates lifelong bonds between families.
The program consists of nine, two-hour visits which are based around the baby's age milestones. In each visit parents have a one-on-one assessment with the provider, which serves as the regular well-baby checkup and then time for group discussion with an emphasis on family, self-care, wellness and women's health. Parents are actively involved in their child's assessment at every visit: tracking growth, development, immunizations and oral health.
Why Choose CenteringParenting?
- Experienced, compassionate care. Visits are led by a provider on UM BWMC's medical staff. Each visit begins with individual well-child health assessments, immunizations and developmental screenings that follow the Bright Futures™ nationally recognized guidelines.
- Fun, interactive learning. The provider leads the group in discussion and interactive activities on topics like attachment, safe sleep, breastfeeding, nutrition, early literacy, development and safety. This helps guide parents through self-care, family dynamics and healthy choices.
- Supportive group setting. Patients find comfort in knowing they are not alone in the journey of parenthood. Participation in group care builds friendships, reassurance, community and a support system. Sessions are filled with story sharing, advice giving and lots of laughter.
- Easy, organized plan of care. Participants receive all Centering dates and times at once, so busy families can plan ahead and not worry about scheduling appointments.
- No waiting in a doctor's office. CenteringParenting is held in a large, comfortable room dedicated to Centering, so parents don't have to wait in a lobby next to sick children until they're called.
CenteringParenting is available to all mothers with newborns in the community. It is a great extension program for patients who receive group prenatal care in CenteringPregnancy®, available through the University of Maryland Community Medical Group – Women's Health, a partner of UM BWMC.
Centering classes are available at two convenient locations in Anne Arundel County:
- UM BW Health Services building, 7556 Teague Road, Suite 430, Hanover
- Executive Center building, 300 Hospital Drive, Suite 130, Glen Burnie
To enroll in CenteringParenting at UM BWMC, please call 410-553-8540. To learn more about Centering, visit the Centering Healthcare Institute's website at www.centeringhealthcare.org.