Training - Family Medicine Residency
The University of Maryland's family medicine residency is designed to challenge you so that you are ready for the next step in your career when your residency is finished. With a mix of close mentorship with our experienced staff, hands-on experience and variety in care, we're confident that you'll leave prepared to excel.
See our family medicine residency curriculum.
Inpatient Training - University Family Medicine
Our residents complete their inpatient training in two separate settings, providing a broad spectrum of experiences. On the Inpatient Family Medicine service at the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC), we admit adults and children from our outpatient UFM practice. UMMC is the 806-bed flagship academic medical center located in downtown Baltimore and is the heart of the regional University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS).
Residents care for a wide range of family medicine patients, learning how to manage acutely ill patients and appropriate consultation while emphasizing evidence-based medicine. Multidisciplinary care is provided with care management rounds every day, as well as a dedicated pharmacist who rounds with the inpatient team. Our residents also rotate at the affiliated Baltimore-Washington Medical Center (BWMC), a 285-bed community hospital, where they are able to experience inpatient medicine in a different setting.
Outpatient Training - University Family Medicine
Department physicians see patients at University Family Medicine (UFM).
- preventive services
- prenatal and obstetric care
- well and acute child care
- basic care for common illnesses
- diagnosis and treatment of chronic conditions
We have instituted the use of telemedicine to increase access to patient visits and engage our patients who are unable to present to the office for medical care.
Resident-led didactic sessions:
- Every Morning at 8:00am
- Assigned presentations based on overall topic of the month
- Thursday mornings - Ambulatory Inpatient Patient Case Report
- Journal Club
- Monthly EKG Review
- Monthly OB Strip Rounds
- Monthly Social Justice Talk
CORE Didactic Sessions
- Every Wednesday from 8am-12pm
- Addiction Medicine
- Lectures given by various speakers/specialties based on a pre-set curriculum of rotating topics. Lectures given by attendings, residents, guest lecturers.
- Examples Include:
- Simulations at the MASTRI Center
- Pharmacology Lectures
- EKG Lecture Series
- Current Sports Medicine Fellow-Led Sessions
Reproductive Health and Family Planning (RHFP) Track
The purpose of the RHFP Track is to provide motivated Family Medicine residents with an enhanced family planning experience in reproductive healthcare. Residents will graduate with competency in reproductive health care and procedures including:
- Contraception and Abortion options counseling
- Provision of LARC (IUD and Implant placements and removals)
- Provision of Medication Abortion
- Provision of first trimester procedural abortion
- Management of early pregnancy loss
- Management of contraceptive side-effects
- Procedural training at UMD Family Medicine and Planned Parenthood
RHFP track participants will also gain knowledge and experience to be able to integrate first trimester abortion care, miscarriage management, and LARC services into their future primary care practice, and develop confidence in handling post abortion questions and complications. Lastly, RHFP track residents will have the opportunity to learn and train in the important skills needed to advocate for comprehensive reproductive health services of all patients.
Postpartum Education and Support Group
We also have an innovative resident-run postpartum education and support group called Queens Court for postpartum women to connect, share experiences, learn about wellness and disease prevention, as well as discover community resources to facilitate good health for themselves and their families.
This program is an extension of prenatal care, with the goal of producing better outcomes for women beyond just childbirth, but up to one year after delivery.