Curriculum - Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship
The following table is a representation of our current overall rotation curriculum for the three years of our Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Program. There are 13 four-week blocks for the year.
|Rotation||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|University MICU||3 blocks||1 block||1 block|
|University Pulmonary Consults||2 blocks||-||-|
|VA MICU/Consults||2 blocks||-||-|
|Critical Care Anesthesia||1 block||-||-|
|Lung Transplant||1 block||-||-|
|Interventional Pulmonology||1 block||-||1 block|
|Pulmonary Electives||2 blocks (Chest Radiology/Ultrasound)||1 block||2+ blocks|
|Non-Medical ICUs||-||-||3-6 blocks|
|Research||-||10-11 months||3-6 blocks|
|VA Pulmonary Clinic||1/2 day weekly||1/2 day every other week||1/2 day monthly|
|Center for Pulmonary Health Clinic||-||1/2 day weekly||1/2 day once or twice weekly|
The rotations during the 2nd and 3rd year are tailored to each individual fellow's interests.
In addition to bedside faculty teaching, our Program and Division has comprehensive didactic conferences. The fellows are required for most of their fellowship experience to attend five weekly Division conferences:
- Pulmonary Grand Rounds, a pulmonary and critical care evidence-based conference, during which clinical and basic science topics in pulmonary and critical care diseases are presented, incorporating Journal Club
- Pulmonary Core Curriculum Conference, a fellow-oriented conference
- Ambulatory Pulmonary Curriculum, a pre-clinic 30-minute review of the outpatient evaluation and management of a pulmonary disease topic;
- Interdisciplinary Radiology Case Conference, in which fellows present clinical cases, a discussion of the relevant radiologic and pathologic findings, and a literature review of the illness
- Multi-Departmental Critical Care Conference, a critical care oriented didactic conference which comprehensively covers current critical care topics and is presented by a wide range of faculty with expertise in critical care medicine. Lectures are posted online maryland.ccproject.com.
Throughout the year, fellows intermittently have responsibilities for preparing and presenting at Radiology Case Conference. As an academic institution, there are many additional conferences and lectures that the fellows may attend as their schedules allow. These include the Interventional Pulmonology Conference, Interventional Pulmonology Journal Club, Multidisciplinary Thoracic Oncology Conference, Multidisciplinary Interstitial Lung Disease Conference, Medical Grand Rounds, Department of Medicine Clinicopathologic Conference, Translational Research Conference, and Inflammation Research Group Conference.