Curriculum - Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship
The following table is a representation of our rotation curriculum for our Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Program. There are 13 four-week blocks per year. One block is for vacation each year.
|Rotation||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|UMMC MICU||3 blocks||1 block||1 block|
|UMMC Pulmonary Consults||3 blocks||-||-|
|UMMC Critical Care Anesthesia||1 block||-||-|
|UMMC Interventional Pulmonology||1 block||-||1 block|
|UMMC Lung Transplant||-||1 block||-|
|VA MICU/Consults||3 blocks||-||-|
|Pulmonary Electives||0.5 block chest radiology||1 block||2+ blocks|
|Non-Medical ICU's||0.5 block CC Ultrasound||-||3-6 blocks|
|Research||-||9-10 blocks||3-6 blocks|
|Fellows Pulmonary Clinic (VA)||1/2 day weekly||1/2 day every other week||1/2 day monthly|
|Center for Pulmonary Health Clinic (Midtown)||-||1/2 day weekly||1/2 day once or twice weekly|
The rotations during the 3rd year are tailored to each individual fellow's interests.
In addition to bedside faculty teaching, our Division hosts comprehensive didactic conferences. Weekly conferences include:
- Pulmonary Grand Rounds, a pulmonary and critical care evidence-based conference during which clinical and basic science topics are presented
- Ambulatory Pulmonary Curriculum, a pre-clinic 30-minute case-based discussion of the outpatient evaluation and management of a pulmonary disease topic complementary to that week's Grand Rounds
- Multi-Disciplinary Radiology Case Conference, in which fellows present clinical cases, a discussion of the relevant radiologic and pathologic findings, and a literature review of the illness
- Multi-Departmental Critical Care Grand Rounds, a critical care oriented didactic conference which comprehensively covers current critical care topics and is presented by a wide range of faculty with expertise in critical care medicine. Lectures are posted online maryland.ccproject.com.
- Multi-Institutional Critical Care Core Conference, a collaborative initiative with other critical care programs within the region to provide a comprehensive curriculum for fellows. A 2-year program with monthly organ-based topics has been developed.
As an academic institution, there are many additional conferences and lectures that the fellows may attend as their schedules allow. These include the following:
- Interventional Pulmonology Conference (monthly)
- Interventional Pulmonology Journal Club (monthly)
- Multidisciplinary Thoracic Oncology Tumor Board (weekly)
- Multidisciplinary Interstitial Lung Disease Conference (every other week)
- Medicine Grand Rounds, including Department of Medicine Clinicopathologic Conference (weekly)
- Translational Research Conference and Inflammation Research Group Conference