Practice-Based Learning - ACGME Competencies
ACGME Common Program Requirements state that each residency/fellowship program must require its residents/fellows to obtain competence Practice Based Learning and Improvement. It is necessary for programs to define the specific knowledge, skills, behaviors, and attitudes required, as well as provide educational experiences as needed in order for their residents and fellows to demonstrate competency in the area of Practice Based Learning and Improvement.
Practice based learning and improvement requires the resident/fellow investigate and evaluate their care of patients, appraise and assimilate scientific evidence, and to continuously improve patient care based on constant self evaluation and life-long learning. Residents/fellows are expected to develop skills and habits to be able to:
- Identify strengths, deficiencies, and limits in one's knowledge and expertise;
- Set learning and improvement goals;
- Identify and perform appropriate learning activities;
- Systematically analyze practice, using quality improvement methods, and implement changes with the goal of practice improvement;
- Incorporate formative evaluation feedback into daily practice;
- Locate, appraise, and assimilate evidence from scientific studies related to their patients' health problems;
- Use information technology to optimize learning; and
- Participate in the education of patients, families, students, residents and other health professionals, as documented by evaluations of a resident's teaching abilities by faculty and/or learners.
Program Improvement activities assure full integration of this and other competencies with learning and clinical care. Review several recommended evaluation methodologies.
Core Assessment Systems are essential to improving resident performance in this competency as well as the other competencies. Review an example of comprehensive core assessment system, which uses multiple methodologies and raters.
- Life-long learning and practice improvement (self-reflection)
- Appraisal and assimilation of scientific literature (EBM)
- Able to implement quality improvement
- Actively participate in the education of others