Maryland Moms in Training Program
At this time, we are offering only virtual options for classes. Please contact the program coordinator at MarylandMoms@umm.edu if you have any questions. Please take a virtual tour of our Obstetric Care Unit.
Who We Are
Maryland Moms in Training is a prenatal education program that promotes healthy pregnancies for moms and healthy beginnings for their babies.
As a grant-funded, outreach program, we provide free prenatal classes to women who are at the greatest risk for having poor pregnancy outcomes, including minorities, teenagers, and low-income or uninsured women who are planning to deliver at the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). We focus on educational and financial needs along with social support and assistance with community programs. This incentive-based program is taught by registered nurses from UMMC. Participants can earn care-credits by attending a series educational classes, going to their prenatal care appointments and adopting healthy behaviors.
After the baby is born, participants will continue to earn care-credits by attending well-baby checkups and making sure immunizations are received on time until the child's first birthday. Care-credits are used at our Baby Boutique.
At our Baby Boutique, women can "purchase" a variety of infant care items including diapers and wipes, clothing, pack-n-plays, car seats, breastfeeding supplies, infant carriers and much more.
Donate to Maryland Moms in Training
- Decrease the number of babies born prematurely
- Decrease the number of low birth weight babies born
- Decrease infant deaths by promoting safe sleep practices and car seat safety
- Increase breastfeeding rates
- Empowers women to make smart healthcare choices
- Offers free prenatal classes to educate women about having a healthy pregnancy and birth experience, along with teaching the basics of infant care, safe sleep, and breastfeeding
- Provides access to experienced health educators and trained nurses for support
- Offers incentives for attending prenatal health care visits
- Assists in getting free baby items
- Provides information and referrals to community resources
How to Participate
To join Maryland Moms in Training, you must receive prenatal care at one of the University of Maryland Medical Center's participating practices and plan to deliver at the University of Maryland Medical Center.
To remain active in the program, participants MUST attended at least four prenatal education classes (see class schedules below).
Virtual Prenatal Class Schedules
Maryland Moms in Training offers 9 free prenatal classes. Class topics include the importance of prenatal care, healthy habits, nutrition, what to avoid, discomforts versus warning signs, labor, infant care and safety, breastfeeding and the postpartum period.
Prenatal classes are offered Tuesday evenings at 5 pm and Thursday afternoons at 12pm. Depending on the topic and amount of class participation, classes range in length from 1 to 2 hours each.
At this time, we are offering only virtual classes via WebEx. Monthly class schedules and WebEx class links are shared on the Maryland Moms in Training private Facebook Group. Once you register, you will be given a personal ID# to join.
We will announce on this page when we will reopen for in-person meetings.
- Program Coordinator
University of Maryland Medical Center
22 South Greene St., Baltimore, MD 21201
How Can I Help?
Maryland Mom's in Training relies on the generosity of community members to keep the Baby Boutique stocked with infant care items and breastfeeding supplies for participants.
- To donate new items, please email MarylandMoms@umm.edu.
- To make a monetary donation, you can use the UMMS Foundation's secure site for your donation. Make sure to select "Maryland Moms" in Training when choosing your desired fund.