4 Shock Trauma (4STA) Acute Care Unit
Nurse Manager: Vanzetta James, MS, RN, CCRN
The Shock Trauma Acute Care is located in the 4H wing of the UMMC South hospital, and provides multidisciplinary comprehensive acute care to patients who have sustained multiple trauma and orthopedic injuries.
In addition, wounds requiring hyperbaric oxygenation therapy are frequently cared for in this area. All patients on this unit are inpatients. The unit operates 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and has a capacity of 20 beds.
Major Clinical Activities / Procedures Rendered
- Hygiene measures
- Pulmonary care
- Glucometer blood glucose assessment
- Intervention and evaluation
- Emotional support and counseling for patients and families
- Patient and family teaching
- Chest tube management
- Wound care
- Orthopaedic stabilization
- Medication and blood product administration
- Rehabilitation preparation
For all patient information, please call 410-328-9284.