The team of world-class experts at the University of Maryland Liver Center have a proven record of success in treating all forms of liver disease.
Specialists in the Liver Center understand the complexity of liver disease and how to help patients get the treatments they need – whether for hepatitis C, cancer, or liver failure.
Record of Excellence
As part of the University of Maryland Medical Center, the Liver Center has a record of excellence:
- #1 Liver Transplant Program in Maryland – performing more liver transplants with better outcomes, according to SRTR data.
- First hospital in Maryland to use the Molecular Absorbents Recirculation System (MARS) device to provide liver support and prevent multi-organ failure.
- First hospital in Maryland to use NanoKnife to treat primary as well as metastatic cancer.
- Home to the first and one of the most experienced radioembolization centers in the country.
- 7 Liver Center physicians named Baltimore Magazine’s "Top Doctors" 2013.
- Only liver transplant program in Maryland recognized by U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration for "better than expected performance" in pre- and post-liver transplant outcomes in 2012.
- One of 33 hospitals in the United States to be honored by the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE) for adherence to ASGE safety guidelines and commitment to quality assurance in endoscopy.
Patients at the University of Maryland Liver Center benefit from a broad team of experts who spend their careers studying and improving treatments for all forms of liver disease. Diseases of the liver are complex and require extensive medical knowledge about how to best treat not only the liver but also other systems and organs a diseased liver might cause in other parts of the body. By working as a team to discuss each patient's plan of care, physicians within the Liver Center can pool their knowledge and experience to guide patients down the best possible treatment plan for their specific illness.
Once an appointment is scheduled, patients will meet with a physician who specializes in their underlying disease, such as Hepatitis C, liver cancer, NASH, etc. The physician will then review the patient's case with other experts from across the Liver Center to determine the best plan for treating the disease now and anticipating the patient's medical needs in the future.