Call for appointment:410-328-8788 410-328-8788
University of Maryland Heart and Vascular Center offers a prevention program dedicated to your overall heart health.
Our program combines a thorough assessment, heart screenings and a personalized treatment plan to help you live a heart-healthy life.
We recommend our Preventive Cardiology Program if you:
- Have a family history of heart disease
- Are concerned about cardiovascular risks including: high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and smoking
- Are recovering from a heart attack or surgery
The University of Maryland Heart and Vascular Center offers noninvasive methods for detecting heart disease:
- Heart scan/coronary calcium scoring: This test evaluates your risk for heart disease in less than an hour. We use a variety of tests, including CT scanning, to detect the presence of premature calcium deposits within the blood vessels.
- Genetic screening: We offer genetic screening in combination with noninvasive tests to try to identify individuals who may be at increased risk for early heart and aortic disease. Learn more about cardiogenetic testing.
- Clinical trials: The University of Maryland Heart and Vascular Center is constantly conducting new research to investigate the causes of heart disease and find new ways to treat it. Our goal is to improve the care and treatments we offer you. If you meet the criteria for a specific clinical trial, your doctor will give you the information to consider as a part of your treatment plan.
How Preventive Cardiology Works
Our program specializes in prevention, early detection and treatment of cardiac problems, with an emphasis on rehabilitation.
Here’s how it works:
- Assessment: We perform a comprehensive cardiovascular risk assessment.
- Treatment plan: Based on those results, our experienced cardiology team devises an individualized plan to help you improve your heart health.
- Lifestyle modifications: Your plan may include lifestyle modifications such as eating a more heart-healthy diet, adding regular exercise to your routine and new ways to manage your stress.
- Therapy sessions: You attend a combination of individual and group therapies dealing with food preparation, weight control and smoking cessation.
- Examinations: We examine you regularly to screen for hypertension, high cholesterol and diabetes so we can take steps to prevent problems.
- Screening: We also screen you for all types of cardiovascular diseases, including blockages and clotting of the legs, neck, heart and kidneys. Other screenings may include: carotid arteries, coronary arteries, testing for peripheral arterial disease (PAD/PVD) and renal artery stenosis. Learn more about heart screenings.
Your First Visit
Here’s what to expect during your initial visit with us:
- Exam: You will undergo a complete physical exam, as well as blood tests, including a total cholesterol test.
- History: We will take a complete family history, medical history and lifestyle history.
- Diagnostic tests: You may undergo noninvasive diagnostic testing like electrocardiogram and stress tests. We also offer more advanced tests to get clear and accurate images of the heart and to detect coronary disease.
- Individualized plan: Following the testing, you will meet with a cardiologist, nurse practitioner, endocrinologist, dietician and exercise physiologist. This team creates an individualized plan for you that addresses your specific needs. We may recommend lifestyle modifications or medications.