Heart Bypass Surgery
Call for appointment:410-328-5842 410-328-5842
At the University of Maryland Medical Center, we have one of the busiest heart bypass surgery programs in the region, performing hundreds of bypass (coronary revascularization) procedures each year. This high volume gives us a superior level of expertise and experience with these procedures.
Types of Heart Bypass Surgeries
Bypass surgery refers to procedures that restore blood flow in blood vessels (coronary arteries) that have hardened or narrowed.
We have the expertise and resources to provide the full spectrum of coronary procedures. We always have your best outcome in mind, whether we choose a minimally invasive or open approach. Learn more about:
- Angioplasty and stenting
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG, pronounced “cabbage”)
- Hybrid coronary intervention
- Minimally invasive direct coronary artery bypass (MIDCAB)
- Transmyocardial revascularization (TMR)
- Totally endoscopic coronary artery bypass (TECAB)
Coronary Revascularization at the University of Maryland
Features of our care include:
- Experienced team: Our physicians are board-certified with years of experience performing revascularization procedures. We see a wide range of patients, including those with complex and hard-to-treat conditions. Other heart centers often refer challenging patients to us, knowing that we have the drive, expertise and dedication to figure out how to treat all of our patients.
- Commitment to minimally invasive treatment: Our team routinely performs hybrid or robotic procedures. In fact, we are specialists in this area, having undergone extensive training in minimally invasive surgery. For the older adult population often requiring revascularization procedures, a minimally invasive approach offers the best outcome with a shorter recovery.
- Patient-centered care: Our team takes time to get to know you and create a treatment plan based on your specific needs. Part of our expertise is understanding the subtleties and nuances of coronary disease and customizing an approach that suits each patient. After your procedure, your surgeon will see you at least once a day to check in and will schedule long-term follow-up care with you.
- Specialized care for older adults: Many of our patients are more than 80 years of age. Older adults may have additional health challenges that can complicate the treatment plan. We work tirelessly to find a surgical approach that can get our patients the treatment they need, safely and effectively.
Coronary Artery Surgery: Advanced Technology
We use the latest surgical technology to get excellent results for our patients. This includes:
- Hybrid OR: This is a specialized suite that combines a catheterization lab with a fully equipped operating room. It allows us to provide the least invasive and most effective surgery for you.
- Robotic-assisted surgery: Robotic surgeries enable your surgeon to access hard-to-reach areas and allow for more dexterity and movement during the procedure. It is a type of minimally invasive procedure, which means a shorter and easier recovery for you.
- Clinical trials: We are one of the largest enrollers of patients in cardiac-related clinical trials in the region. This gives our patients access to the latest medical therapy, procedures and technology before they are available to the general public.