Apply to Volunteer
Dear Prospective Volunteer,
We are delighted that you are interested in Volunteering at University of Maryland (UM) Upper Chesapeake Medical Center or UM Harford Memorial Hospital. Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, in addition to our normal requirements there are some additional safeguards that have been implemented to protect our Volunteers while they serve on our campuses.
- All Volunteers are required to wear a hospital issued face shield or approved eye protection and a medical grade surgical mask that tightly covers their mouth and nose. New face masks will be issued by the Volunteer Office and must be changed daily.
- Volunteers serving in patient care areas must have received a COVID-19 vaccination and booster shot (when required by the manufacturer). All UM UCH Volunteers are encouraged to receive COVID-19 vaccination, however the COVID-19 vaccination is only required of those Volunteers serving in patient care areas.
- Volunteers may begin service in patient care areas three weeks post COVID-19 booster shot. Vaccinations that do not require a second (booster shot) such as Johnson and Johnson will be accepted three weeks following vaccination per manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Vaccination documentation must be submitted to the Volunteer Office and will be placed in the Volunteer’s personnel file.
- Volunteers are not permitted in COVID-19 patient’s rooms, COVID-19 recovered patient’s rooms, PUI (patients under investigation) patient’s rooms, or patient’s in rooms requiring gowns or respirators.
- All Volunteers must monitor for possible COVID-19 symptoms (loss of taste or smell, cough, fever, headache, shortness of breath) daily and are not to report to volunteer if there is any indication of infection. If symptoms are present, Volunteers will notify the Volunteer Services Department and quarantine for fourteen days.
If you have questions call the Volunteer Services Department Office at UM Harford Memorial Hospital (443-843-5355) or UM Upper Chesapeake Medical Center (443-643-1725). Thank you for your desire to serve our patients and the community!
In Good Health,
Director of Volunteer Services and Community Partnerships