Preparing for Joint Replacement Surgery
Pre-Registration - Orthopedic Surgery Registration
All anesthetics for total joint replacements at UM SJMC are performed by board certified physician anesthesiologists. There are several types of anesthesia that can be performed for these surgical procedures and this decision deserves careful consideration and discussion between you, your anesthesiologist, and your surgeon. Factors that may influence this decision include:
- Health and physical condition
- Past experiences with surgery and anesthesia
- Medications and medication allergies/reactions
- Benefits and risks of each type of anesthesia
- Preferences of the surgery/anesthesia team and you
Thank you for choosing University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center for your joint replacement surgery. We want to do everything we can to help you prepare for your surgery and to ensure a smooth recovery. Click on the links below to get started.
- Pre-surgery Information
- Financial Information
- Patients' Rights and Obligations
- Medical Evaluation
Pre-Operative Class - Orthopedic Surgery
Join us for an educational class prior to a scheduled knee or hip surgery at University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center. The goal of this class is to present you and your care partner with an in-depth explanation of all aspects of your surgery. We strongly encourage you attend at least two weeks prior to your surgery. A certified Orthopaedic Registered Nurse who works on the ortho unit will lead the class.
The Joint Replacement Class will be held in The Cancer Institute conference room on the third floor. The class will be offered on the following days:
- First Thursday of the month, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Second Wednesday of the month, 6 - 8 p.m.
- Third Monday of the month, 1 - 3 p.m.
- Fourth Monday of the month, 1 - 3 p.m.
For information about registration and class times, please visit the Joint Replacement Class page. If you have any questions, please contact the Orthopaedic Program Coordinator at 410-427-2278.