Breast Imaging and Intervention
UM Shore Regional Health offers a broad scope of services for diagnosing, staging and treating breast disease in partnership with the Comprehensive Breast Center and Cancer Center. Digital mammograms, which are non-invasive radiological examinations, remain the mainstay of screening for early breast cancer. These mammograms can be used in conjunction with other tools, depending on test results. These include: CAD (computer aided detection), breast ultrasound, fine needle aspiration, biopsy, stereotactic breast biopsy, needle localization, sentinel node localization and breast MRI.
Breast Imaging Procedure Preparation
Procedure preparation for mammography:
- Do not wear deodorant, powder, body lotions or colognes.
- A two piece outfit should be worn for comfort.
- If your previous mammogram was done at another facility, please bring the location and/or the mammograms with you.
Procedure preparation for ultrasound or CT scan biopsy:
- Clear liquids only past midnight.
- Must have a driver.
- Needs to have lab work done within 7 days of biopsy.
- Needs to have history and physical sent to Imaging Services from ordering physicians office.
- NO blood thinners (aspirin, or aspirin based) for a minimum of 3 days, preferably 5 days.
Stereotactic Ultrasound Biopsy
Specific preparation information will be given when your appointment is scheduled.