Colon Cancer Screening
For most people, colon cancer is entirely preventable. However, accomplishing this goal requires a team approach.
Our skilled experts at the University of Maryland Digestive Health Center will run tests to determine your risk of developing colon cancer. These tests may include a colonoscopy, abdominal imaging or stool tests.
Then we will work with you to determine your most effective prevention strategy. In some cases, we may tell you that other members of your family could have an increased risk of colon cancer and should be evaluated.
You may also want to speak to a primary care physician to discuss your family health.
We will serve as navigators to help you prepare for these procedures, guide you through them and then meet with you to go over the results and plan the next steps.
This outpatient procedure requires you to prep before you come to the office. Our specialists will cover the steps needed before your colonoscopy and answer any questions you may have.
The day of your colonoscopy, you will receive anesthesia before the procedure. Then a gastro specialist will examine the lining of your large intestine—the colon—with a flexible medical instrument to collect small tissue samples for analysis.
Colon Cancer Screening
Screening colonoscopies for detecting colon cancer are recommended once every 10 years beginning at age 45. If you have a family history of colorectal cancer or polyps, screening should start at an earlier age. Your primary provider can let you know when you should have this done.
To schedule a screening appointment, please call 443-552-2359
Our providers perform colonoscopies at three Ambulatory Surgery Centers, as well as the Midtown and Downtown campus:
- Catonsville location – Gastrointestinal Diagnostic Center 700 Giepe Road, Suite 220 Catonsville MD 21228
- Towson location – Maryland Endoscopy Center 100 West Road, Suite 115 Towson, MD 21204
- Columbia location – Maple Lawn Surgery Center – 7625 Maple Lawn Blvd, Suite 110 Fulton, MD 20759
- Digestive Health Center at UMMC Downtown Campus – Diagnostic colonoscopies are provided at this location
- Digestive Health Center at UMMC Midtown Campus – Diagnostic colonoscopies are provided at this location.
- Make an appointment with one of our Digestive Health specialists by calling 443-552-2359 or find a Digestive Health provider.