Child Life Program Internship
Thank you for your interest in the Child Life internship program at the University of Maryland Children's Hospital. The 640-hour child life internship at the University of Maryland Children's Hospital provides the learner with supervised, guided experience with children and supports the development of professional child life skills. This internship is best suited for undergraduate students nearing graduation (during final semester of school) or Master's degree students pursuing graduate study relevant to child life work. The student's clinical supervisor, along with other child life team members, provides instruction and guidance. We do accept qualified applicants who are not affiliated with an academic program.
Also, please refer to the UMCH Internship Application at the end of this letter for additional application requirements specific to the Child Life Program at the University of Maryland Children's Hospital.
All documents must be received by the application deadline for an internship application to be considered complete and ready for review.
We offer internships in the Fall and Winter semesters.
Fall Internship Starting September Timeline
- Application Deadline is March 15
- Interviews During March and April
- Applicant Notification by 1st Tuesday of May
- Applicant Acceptance by 1st Wednesday of May
Winter Internship Starting January Timeline
- Application Deadline is September 5
- Interviews During September and October
- Applicant Notification by: 2nd Tuesday of October
- Applicant Acceptance by 2nd Wednesday of October
- Successfully completed a minimum of 10 courses related to child life, child development, or closely related field;
- Successfully completed or be enrolled in a child life class taught by a Certified Child Life Specialist;
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- A minimum of 100 hours experience with well children and/or families; AND,
- A minimum of 100 hours experience with children and/or families in stressful situations, health care settings and/or programs designed for children with special needs.
Please send your completed application packet to:
University of Maryland Children's Hospital
22 S. Greene St.
Child Life, Rm S5C15
Baltimore, MD 21201
We will review each application upon receipt and then contact you in regards to a potential on-site or phone interview with the Child Life team of the University of Maryland Children's Hospital. Thank you for your interest in our program.
Shannon Joslin, MS, CCLS