Child Life Practicum
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic our practicum availability is subject to change.
Thank you for your interest in the Child Life Practicum Program at the University of Maryland Children's Hospital. Our practicum is constructed to be a 150-hour pre-internship experience for students who are pursuing a career or degree program to become a Certified Child Life Specialist. Each practicum is structured so that students will complete 12.5 hours per week for 12 weeks. Weekend and evening shifts may be required.
Students will be paired with a Certified Child Life Specialist both observing and working independently with hospitalized children and families.
The Child Life department at University of Maryland Medical Center is currently contracted with Towson University’s M.S. in Child Life, Administration & Family Collaboration program. Applications from candidates not affiliated with this program may be accepted; however, please see below for information about our practicum program during specific terms.
- Winter/Spring 2024: We are not accepting applications for this term.
- Summer 2024: We are only accepting students affiliated with the above-mentioned program through Towson University.
- Fall 2024: We are only accepting students affiliated with the above-mentioned program through Towson University.
Child Life Practicum Application Requirements
- Completion of 5 or more courses in child life or related areas (i.e. child or human development, family studies psychology, counseling, sociology, expressive therapies)
- Completion of sophomore standing at the college/university level in a Bachelor's program or have completed a degree program of a similar field such as child development, psychology, human development, family studies, etc.)
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Completion of minimum 75 hours volunteering in a hospital setting with children. Verification is required
For additional information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.