Child Life Practicum
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic our practicum availability is subject to change.
Thank you for your interest in the Child Life Practicum Program at the University of Maryland Children's Hospital. Our practicum is constructed to be a 150 hour pre-internship experience for students who are pursuing a career or degree program to become a Certified Child Life Specialist. Weekend and evening shifts may be required.
Students will be paired with a Certified Child Life Specialist both observing and working independently with hospitalized children and families.
Practicum applicants do not have to be enrolled in a university or college program but must be pursuing the child life career path. For more information on the Child Life profession, please visit the Association for Child Life Professionals website at childlife.org.
|For Practicum Starting:||Application Deadline|
Child life Practicum Application Requirements:
- Completion of 5 or more courses in child life or related areas (i.e. child or human development, family studies psychology, counseling, sociology, expressive therapies)
- Completion of sophomore standing at the college/university level in a Bachelor's program or have completed a degree program of a similar field such as child development, psychology, human development, family studies, etc.)
- Completion of a minimum of 100 hours volunteering in a hospital setting with children. Verification is required
All interested applicants must submit ALL of the following completed materials to be considered for an interview as a practicum student:
- Completed practicum application
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one must have directly observed your work with children in any setting)
- Official or unofficial college or university transcript(s)
- Current resume
- Three personal and/or professional goals written using bulleted format
- Written essay (300 - 500 words) about how the practicum at University of Maryland Children's Hospital will benefit your professional goals, as well as, 3 things that make you stand out as a candidate
- Separate list of child life field related classes and grade received
- Verification of hospital volunteer hours.
*All materials must be postmarked by the application deadline date to be considered for the practicum.
Please send completed application to:
Child Life Practicum Coordinator
Child Life Department
University of Maryland Children's Hospital
22 South Greene Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
We will review each application upon receipt. The top applicants that meet the practicum admission criteria will be contacted to schedule a phone interview with the Child Life Practicum Student Coordinators. Thank you for your interest in our program. For more information please contact Molly Baron, Practicum Student Coordinator, at 410-328-4553 or email email@example.com.