Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
A child's illness or injury can be overwhelming and stressful for families – especially when it involves critical care. Yet, the treatment plan and road to recovery don't need to be. The University of Maryland Children's Hospital with the Division of Pediatric Critical Care offers outstanding critical care for patients aged 0-18+ within a warm, caring environment.
Our combined PICU/PCICU is a 19-bed unit that is staffed by a multidisciplinary care team that includes critical care doctors and doctors in training, nurses, pharmacists, social workers, physical therapists, child life specialists and more.
A board certified pediatric critical care doctor is present in the PICU 24 hours a day in order to meet the needs of our patients and their families.
Features of the PICU
- All private rooms
- Kid-friendly gaming systems, books, movies and other fun activities
- Sleeping accommodations for one caregiver (parents are allowed to remain with their child 24/7)
- Pet therapy for patients who are well enough
- Individualized care plans based on patient requirements
- Special emphasis on pediatric pain management
- Continuous monitoring and evaluation throughout the day
- Including the family as an integral part of their child's care team
- Translation services
Location and Contact
Pediatric Progressive Care Unit (PPCU)
22 S Greene St
Fifth Floor, Central Elevators
Baltimore, MD 21201