About UM Children's Hospital
Mission, Vision and Values
At University of Maryland Medical System, our values are the building blocks of the shared culture and common understanding that guide us in fulfilling our mission and vision as we provide Marylanders a better state of care.
Learn more: Mission | Vision | Values
In providing the best possible care for children of all ages, the University of Maryland Children's Hospital (UMCH) takes the slogan "Children Are Our Future" very seriously. Children have specific physiological and emotional needs that differ from adults. That's why everything that we do at UMCH is kid-focused!
In addition to our clinical services, UMCH is a national leader in children's health care research. Our highly respected and well-funded research activities allow us to search for cures to childhood illnesses.
UMCH Celebrates 75 Years in 2023
Since 1948, the University of Maryland Children's Hospital has led the way in many innovations. Read about our highlights from the last 75 years.
- We have a vast range of specialty care (25+).
- Our health care providers are fellowship-trained, meaning they spent extra time training to be a pediatric specialist.
- We have a 52-bed neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) as well as a 19-bed pediatric intensive care unit (PICU).
- We have a dedicated pediatric emergency room where experts care just for kids.
- We have many outpatient locations across Maryland.
- We have a team of Child Life Specialists who devote their days to making kids feel like kids!
- Every member of the family is impacted when a child is sick which is why we emphasize family-centered care.