Safe Kids Baltimore promotes the work of the Maryland Poison Center with efforts throughout the year. Together we offer you these poison prevention tips:
- Keep the phone number for the poison center on or near the phone.
- Keep potential poisons locked out of children's site and reach.
- Educate your children, yourself, and other caretakers about possible poisons.
- Buy products and medicines in child resistant containers.
- Keep products in their original containers and never store household products in food containers.
- Never mix household products or chemicals together.
- Never leave potentially poisonous household products unattended while in use -- it only takes seconds for a poisoning to occur.
- Never refer to medicine as candy. Many medicines do look like candies. Referring to medicine as candy may encourage children to experiment.
- Always follow the directions when giving children medications.
- Discard old medications by mixing them with coffee grounds, kitty litter or another undesirable kitchen substance. Place mixture in sealable bag and discard in trash.
- If you think a poisoning may have occurred, call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222 immediately. Take the product to the phone with you.
- If poison gets into a child's eyes, flush with warm water for 15 minutes by pouring water onto the eyes. Do not allow the child to rub their eyes.
- Rinse skin that has come in contact with poison for 15 minutes under cool running water.
- Have your house tested for lead based paint if it was built before 1978. Hire someone to remove lead paint if found. Consult your doctor for lead exposure treatment.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of the house and in the bedrooms. If the alarm sounds -- leave immediately. Call the fire department and utility department from a neighbors house or outside the house.
- Have all heaters, furnaces, fireplaces and wood burning stoves inspected for safety and proper ventilation.