Pediatric Asthma Management
Call for appointment:410-328-6749 410-328-6749
There are two kinds of Asthma Medicines: Controller Medicines for everyday use and Quick-Relief Medicines for use as needed.
Examples of Controller (EVERYDAY) medicines include:
- Advair ®
- AeroBid ®
- Azmacort ®
- Flovent ®
- Pulmicort ®
- QVar ®
- Singulair ®
Examples of Quick-Relief medicines include:
- Albuterol ®
- MaxAir ®
- Proventil ®
- Ventolin ®
- Xopenex ®
Quick-Relief (AS NEEDED) Medicines are needed when you have a cough, wheeze or difficulty breathing. They work fast, are a quick fix and should not be needed every day.
Call your primary care doctor if you need your Quick-Relief (AS NEEDED) medicines more than twice in a week or if you need to use it more than twice in one hour.
How to use an Inhaler and Spacer
- Remove the caps from the inhaler and the spacer.
- Check that nothing is inside the plastic case.
- Attach the inhaler to the spacer.
- Shake the inhaler (with spacer attached).
- Breathe out normally.
- Hold the inhaler in your mouth.
- Press inhaler once to release the medicine just as you begin to inhale.
- Continue to inhale slowly (over about 5 seconds) until your lungs are full.
- Remove inhaler and hold breath for 10 seconds. Then breathe out normally.
- Wait 1 - 3 minutes before taking additional puffs.
- Rinse your mouth with water.
If you are unable to hold your breath, use a mask with spacer and take six breaths (in and out) through mouth for each puff.
How do I know if my child's asthma is under control?
If you answer "yes" to any of the following questions, your child's asthma may be out of control:
- Does your child have asthma symptoms during the day more than twice per week?
- Does your child have asthma symptoms during the night more than twice per month?
- Is your child using their rescue inhaler more than twice per week?
- Is your child having difficulty with exercise because of their asthma?
The Asthma Control Test is a simple tool you can use to assess your child's asthma control. Go to www.asthmacontrol.com.