Resources for Muslim Patients
The University of Maryland Medical Center is committed to serving the religious needs of its Muslim patients.
We do this in many ways, including:
- Offering Halal Meals: Halal meals are available to inpatients by request. Ask your nurse for a Halal menu. Zaytoun Bistro is the approved supplier of Halal meals to the Medical Center. If you have any concerns, please ask your nurse to page the chaplain who may be able to resolve the issue.
- Providing a Muslim Salat Schedule: The following schedule is provided as a reference for Muslim patients and their families:
|Prayer||Iqamah & Location|
|Fajr||*6:00 a.m. (M-F) - UMMC Chapel|
|Dhuhr||*1:30 p.m. (M-Th) - VA Chapel|
|'Asr||*3:30 p.m. (M-F) - UMMC Chapel|
|Maghrib||*at sunset (M-F), but not earlier than 5:10 p.m. - UMMC Chapel|
|Isha'a||*7:00 p.m. (M-F) - UMMC Chapel|
|Juma'a||*1:30 p.m. (F) - VA Chapel|
*NOTE: Seasonal changes as announced. There will always be prayers at the Iqamah time in Jamat (group) at Dhuhr and Juma'a Monday through Friday. Iqamah times are suggested times for people to meet to pray together, although there may not always be others present.
- Providing Access to Ritual Supplies: The Medical Center provides access to prayer rugs and copies of the Qur'an for Muslim patients.
- Helping Celebrate Ramadan and Other Holy Days: The Medical Center offers a variety of special services for both patients and their families during Ramadan, Eid al-Fitr and other Muslim Holy Days.
- Wudu (Ritual Washing) Room: The Medical Center provides access to a room for performing wudu, or ritual washing.
For More Information
For more information or to access these services before or during a hospital admission, please contact Pastoral Care Services at 410-328-6014. If you need these services after hours, please ask your nurse to page the chaplain.