Mental Health Services | Walter P. Carter Center
Address & Phone
Phone: Numbers differ by program. See below for full listing. Numbers differ by program. See below for full listing.
Baltimore, MD 21201 Get Directions
We provide outpatient mental health and addiction services in one location to all ages, including children, adults and the elderly.
Each age group requires specialized treatments. Our team addresses infant and youth behavioral concerns, family problems, school adjustment difficulties, sexual and physical abuse, mental illness, alcohol and drug abuse and more.
Our programs include:
- Child/Adolescent: 410-328-6018
- Center for Infant Study: 410-328-5881
- Walter P. Carter Fayette Adult Clinic (age 18 and older): 410-328-2207
- General Adult Clinic: 410-328-6018
- Programs of Assertive Community Treatment (PACT): 410-328-2564
- Outpatient Addiction Treatment Services (OATS): 410-328-6600
- Geriatric Psychiatry (age 60 and older): 410-328-8415
- Pregnancy & Postpartum Mental Health: 410-328-6018
- Case Management: 410-328-0809
Hours and Parking
Monday - Friday: 8 am - 5 pm (Some program hours may vary.)
You or your loved ones can receive outpatient services onsite or offsite through an appointment.
Our team includes:
- Clinical nurse specialists
- Licensed social workers
- Case managers
We work closely with one another and outside community agencies to make faster referrals. We will also connect you with resources to help you meet your needs, like employment and benefits services.
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
We diagnosis and treat children ages 5 to 18 for mental and behavioral issues. At the UMMC Child and Adolescent Mental Health Program, our team evaluates more than 11,000 new and returning patients every year.
A child will first receive a general psychiatric evaluation, and then we will create a custom treatment plan. We work with families, pediatricians, family physicians - anyone who is a part of the care process.
We also feature specialty clinics and programs:
- ADHD Treatment Clinic: includes diagnosis and medication management
- Trauma Disorders Clinic: specializes in treating physical/sexual abuse
- Mood Disorders Clinic: treats anxiety, mood instability, loss, etc.
Center for Infant Study
The Center for Infant Study (CIS) cares for children ages 0 to 5 years with emotional and behavioral concerns.
Treatment plans can include:
- Psychological tests
- Urgent care services
- Psychotherapy sessions
- Family and group therapy
- Parent counseling
We work with parents, caregivers and agencies during treatment.
Secure Starts is a specialized program for children up to 5 years who are at risk or experiencing social, emotional or behavioral challenges.
We help to treat:
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Physical abuse
- Inattention and hyperactivity
Walter P. Carter Fayette Adult Clinic & General Adult Clinic
General Clinic: 2nd floor
Fayette Clinic: 3rd floor
We assist individuals ages 18+ with a range of mental health issues.
We can help you with:
- Chronic mental illness
- Family problems
- Life crises
- Mental illness in combination with substance abuse
We offer individual, group and family therapies as well as medication, case management and diagnosis services.
Our Continuous Care Team (CCT) sees adults who require a higher level of care.
Patients visit multiple times per week for medication, therapy and case management.
If you are an adult recovering from serious/recurring mental illness, we can help you maintain independence.
We will link you to resources:
- Benefits - income, SNAP nutritional benefits and medical assistance
- Day programs - connections to job opportunities
- Housing - affordable resources
- Legal services - options and assistance
- Probation - coordination with parole/probation staff
- Referrals - medical and substance use services
- Transportation - temporary transit options to agencies or appointments
Outpatient Geriatric Mental Health Services
Adults older than 60 years may be at greater risk for mental and cognitive illnesses like dementia. Rates of stroke, Parkinson's disease, depression and memory loss may increase.
Our team identifies the many issues that occur at once and provides you with medication management, therapy and other services.
We will work with you and your family to promote safety and quality of care in a cost effective way.
Programs of Assertive Community Treatment (PACT)
We treat adults and children who have serious and complex mental problems. If you are unable to use traditional outpatient services, we will help to stabilize you.
We assess, evaluate and rehabilitate adults (ages 18+) who are homeless or a resident of Baltimore City. If you have a history of multiple psychiatric hospital and ER visits, adult services may include:
- Mental health assessment and treatment
- Medication evaluation
- Treatment for multiple diagnoses
- Identification of housing options and jobs
We also help children (ages 6 to 17) with:
- Mood disorders
- Psychotic disorders
- Disruptive behavior
Children may benefit from:
- Coordination of services
- Medication evaluations
- Community interventions
A mobile treatment unit responds to more than half of our clients.
Our goal is to help stabilize and transition you to traditional outpatient treatment, and promote your well-being.
Pregnancy & Postpartum Mental Health
Our Women's Health program provides mental health care for women before, during and after their pregnancies. If you have not been feeling like yourself, you may have a treatable condition.
Our services treat:
- Addictions during pregnancy
Untreated mental health problems may increase problems during pregnancy. We create treatment plans that include:
- Individual or group therapy
- Support groups
- Referrals to mental health care
We provide a safe space to talk about your needs before, during and after your pregnancy.
Outpatient Addiction Treatment Services (OATS)
Individuals with addiction problems may qualify for OATS. Our team provides services that include personalized therapy, Suboxone treatment (with counseling), relapse prevention education and more.
You can attend treatment during the day and maintain your daily routine during the evening. We are here to help you regain control of your life.