Trauma Resuscitation Unit Visitor Guidelines
Call for patient information:410-328-6110 410-328-6110
Trauma Resuscitation Unit (TRU) Visitation Policy
The Trauma Resuscitation Unit (TRU) within the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center has developed the following visitation guidelines to provide a structure and framework for family visiting in the TRU. These guidelines support our relationship-based care model of nursing, as well as a secure environment for patients, staff and visitors.
The following guidelines apply to all visitors in the TRU:
- Visitor wrist bands must be worn at all times.
- No one under the age of 14 may visit patients in the TRU. Children under the age of 14 may visit at the discretion of the patient's nurse and/or clinical area. An adult must accompany visitors under the age of 14.
- Generally, no more than two (2) visitors may be allowed at the patient's bedside at any one time. An exception may be made after discussion with the TRU charge nurse.
- Each family will be asked to designate a "spokesperson" to receive all of the patient information and pass this on to other family members. This spokesperson will be noted on the TRU flow sheet for reference purposes. This spokesperson will be asked to coordinate the visitation of other family members.
- Generally, visitors will be limited to immediate family members only. This includes spouse, significant other, sibling and parent. Exceptions may be made in the best interest of the patient after discussion with the TRU charge nurse.
- Family may be asked to leave the patient's bedside at any time by the TRU staff nurse or TRU charge nurse due to a change in patient status or unit census.
- Family members must remain at the patient's bedside at all times while visiting on the unit. Family members are also encouraged to keep their visitation periods brief in nature.
- All visitors must be escorted to the TRU via an STC staff member.
- Visitors displaying any type of verbal abuse or violent behavior towards a TRU staff member will be asked to leave the TRU and may be escorted out by security as needed.
- Visitors and patients may not use cell phones while in the TRU. Photography or video of any patients receiving care in the TRU will NOT be permitted.