Preparing for Surgery
Call for appointment:410-328-2360 410-328-2360
As with any type of surgery, there are certain preparations that need to take place -- determining which ones will depend on what type of surgery is taking place and which type of anesthesia will be administered. The following are considerations for you to discuss with your physician/surgeon prior to your procedure:
- Ask the surgeon to explain the benefits, risks, and expectations of the procedure.
- Discuss what type of anesthesia will be administered and what recovery time is expected.
- Inform your physician of any medications (over-the-counter or prescription) you are currently taking, as well as any prior procedures, history of chronic illnesses, and/or allergies you may have.
- Be sure to stop drinking and eating for the recommended time period before and/or after surgery.
- Be sure to follow any specific pre-operative bathing, shaving, or cleaning instructions.
- Be sure to discuss any post-operative instructions that need to be followed (i.e., changing dressings, post-op medications, follow-up appointments, etc.).
- Do not wear makeup the day of surgery, including nail polish.
- Do not wear eye contacts the day of surgery.
- Leave valuables and jewelry at home.
- Advise the medical staff of dentures or other prosthetic devices you may be wearing.
- Be sure to arrange all insurance coverage prior to surgery, as many insurance carriers do not cover many types of plastic surgery procedures (particularly cosmetic procedures).
- Be sure to arrange a ride home after your procedure.
For more information about UM Division of Plastic Surgery or to make an appointment, please call 1-800-492-5538 or 410-328-2360 (patients) or 1-800-373-4111 (physicians).