Call for appointment:667-214-1111 667-214-1111
Getting your eyes checked regularly will ensure your glasses or contact lenses prescription is up-to-date, but is also essential in the early diagnosis and treatment of vision and eye health problems.
University of Maryland optometrists will make sure you get the care you need to see clearly and can connect you with other eye specialists if needed.
Our optometrists provide:
- Annual and routine exams, including diabetic eye exams
- Diagnoses and medical treatment of many eye conditions
- Prescriptions for glasses, contacts and visual aids
Routine Eye Exams
In a comprehensive eye exam, our residency-trained optometrists check your visual acuity, changes in glasses and/or contact lens prescriptions, eye muscle function, depth perception, color vision, and eye pressure, and also examine the front and back of the eye with dilation.
Our optometrists may perform further tests, including visual field testing, optical coherence tomography (OCT), and corneal topography, to screen for eye conditions such as Plaquenil (or other drug) toxicity, glaucoma, neurological disorders, and keratoconus.
By screening for eye diseases, we can help prevent or delay vision loss.
We offer routine eye exams for all ages, and especially recommend eye exams yearly for children as studies have shown that 1 in 4 school-aged children have vision problems which can affect their activity and productivity. Additionally, we recommend annual eye exams for adults with known systemic disorders including, but not limited to, diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea, and rheumatological disorders.
After an evaluation by one of our optometrists, when necessary, a patient is referred to one of our ophthalmologists for further evaluation and treatment.
Prescription Glasses and Contact Lenses
University of Maryland's board-certified opticians provide you with the latest in eye testing and eyewear.
At our locations with optical shops, we offer lenses in a variety of lens materials, tints, designs and coatings for children and adults.
Need a way to use your flex spending account? You can use it with us for contact lenses, frames and glasses. We're now accepting UMMC employees with VSP Insurance.
Our advanced, customized lenses include:
- Anti-reflective coatings that reduce the glare from computer screens and halos at night
- High-index lenses, a leaner, lightweight lens with a flatter curve
- Transition lenses that darken and lighten as you go indoors or outdoors and protect from harmful UV rays
- Polycarbonate lenses that are impact-, UV- and scratch-resistant
- Polarized lenses and sunwear that protect you against harmful rays outdoors
- Progressive lenses that let you see clearly at any distance and close up without bifocal or trifocal lines
- Sports glasses that perform under the toughest conditions
We carry a variety of brands, such as RayBan®, Gucci®, Kate Spade New York®, Tory Burch®, Fossil®, Vogue™, Marc Jacobs®, Nike®, Polo Ralph Lauren® and Nine West®.
Eye Care Locations
Our services include consults and exams, as well as an optical shop. We have two locations:
Emergency Eye Care and Injuries
Emergency eye care is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In an emergency, please call 667-214-1111 and ask for the ophthalmologist on call.