The University of Maryland Medical Center is committed to serving the religious needs of Jewish patients.
We do this in many ways, including:
- A Kosher Pantry, stocked with food from Bikur Cholim, that includes a refrigerator, freezer, microwave, sink, conference-sized table for Shabbat meals and a bed for Shabbat stays.
- Kosher meals for inpatients, catered by local Star-K caterer: Yaffa, all low in salt.
- Portable refrigerator and electric Shabbat candles for patient rooms.
- Access to ritual supplies for: Shabbat, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, Chanukah, Purim, and Passover. Daily prayer books also available.
- Help celebrating Shabbat and holidays as comfortably as possible.
- We collaborate with Bikur Cholim (the Committee for Visiting the Sick) and the Chevra Kadisha (the Burial Society).
For more information or to access these services before or during a hospital admission, please call 410-328-6014. If you need these services after hours, please ask your nurse to page the Chaplain.