Call for appointment:410-706-4771 410-706-4771
A sleep laboratory test is extremely valuable for diagnosing and treating many sleep disorders, including neurologic disorders, movement disorders and breathing disorders at night for both adults and children.
All-night sleep studies are ordered by our sleep physicians and performed in the sleep laboratory the UM Sleep Disorders Center.
Preparing for Your Sleep Study
- Sleep Diary (Please try to keep a sleep diary for two weeks before your appointment.)
What to Expect During a Sleep Study
When you arrive at the UM Sleep Center, located on the UMMC Midtown Campus, you will meet with a sleep technologist who will explain and conduct the sleep study.
For studying the quality of sleep, various sensors and electrodes will be applied to the head, nose, and fingers. These electrodes and sensors are able to measure up to 16 different body movements at the same time. This information will be relayed to the sleep technologist who will be monitoring your sleep. In addition, all patients are videotaped while asleep.
- We place electrodes on your scalp, sides of your head and under the chin, chest and leg. This lets us measure brain waves, heart rate, and eye movements.
- We place a sensor by your nose and mouth to measure airflow.
- Belts are placed around the ribs and abdomen measure breathing movements.
- A clip is placed on a finger for measurement of blood oxygen levels.
Patients generally get out from the study around 6:30 to 7 am. However, if an earlier wake-up is needed, the patient just needs to let the technologist know.
Once the sleep study is completed, it will be assessed, scored, and sent to a sleep specialist for interpretation. This entire process takes 7-10 days. The interpretation is then sent to the physician who ordered the sleep study and appropriate follow-up is arranged.
- The UM Sleep Center is accompanied with hotel-like private suites that are designed to provide a comfortable and peaceful environment for sleep study patients.
- Each room is furnished with a queen size bed
- Private bathroom with shower
- Cable television
Make an Appointment
To make an appointment, call 410-706-4771 (Baltimore) or 667-214-2100 (Columbia).