The Department of Neurology at University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus brings together a coordinated, comprehensive approach to the diagnosis and treatment of brain, spine and neuromuscular disorders. Our team includes experts in the specialties of neurology, neurosurgery and pain management. In addition, our physicians work closely with specialists from other disciplines, including rehabilitative medicine and orthopedics, to provide a team approach to patient evaluation, testing, treatment and ongoing management of neurological problems.
Some of the conditions we treat include:
- Swallowing disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease and movement disorders
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Peripheral neuropathy and other nerve disorders
- Alzheimer's Disease, dementia and memory impairment
- Sleep disorders, including restless leg syndrome and narcolepsy
- Cluster, tension and migraine headaches
Our team provides a full range of treatment options, from medication and physical therapy to surgery. If surgery is needed, our neurosurgeons work closely with neurologists, neuroradiologists and physicians from other specialties in a team approach care. These services include:
- Intracranial surgery for tumors and hemorrhages
- Transsphenoidal pituitary surgery
- Spine surgery for herniated discs, spine injuries, tumors, and other diseases of the spine
- Carpal Tunnel surgery and surgery for other peripheral nerve disorders
- Treatment of spasticity
Our neurophysiologists use state-of-the-art equipment to test the electrical functions of the brain, spinal cord and the nerves in the arms, legs, and the muscles. These tests include:
- EEG (electroencephalogram): a recording of the brain's electrical activity of the brain; also sleep EEG
- Nerve conduction studies (NCS): a recording of the passage of electrical signals along nerves in the limbs
- EMG (electromyography): a recording of the electrical activity of muscles
For more information about these tests or to make an appointment, please call 410-225-8293 (EEG) or 410-225-8290 (EMG/NCS).
Our neurologists see patients in the UM Midtown Professional Building. To make an appointment with one of our specialists, please call 410-225-8290.