UMMC Midtown Auxiliary
Nursing Students Alize Atkins & Sylvia Coleman, circa 1940's
In 1911 University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus was under the management of the Methodist Church. The Women's Auxiliary of the Methodist Hospital Association was founded in May of that same year.
The primary function of the organization was fundraising for the hospital. In 1923 the Auxiliary contributed $3,700 toward the purchase of a new property to be used as the Milton W. Gatch Nurses Home. At the same time, the Auxiliary assumed responsibility for maintaining the residence for the comfort and care of the students. Annual giving to the nurses home included music rolls for a player piano in the residence, refurbishment of the kitchen, furniture of the living room, a "Victrola" and records, a baby grand piano and many other items requested by the nurses. In 1942 a scholarship for nursing students was established at $150. When the nursing school closed in 1987, the amount of the award had increased to $1,500.
In 1940 the ladies of the Auxiliary formed a "Red Cross Team" and began a bandage-rolling program in addition to other duties including weekly trips to Washington, D.C. to help fill a need there. In 1942 the team was called into action to fill nursing vacancies when our nurses joined the war and were shipped overseas. The Ladies Auxiliary was instrumental in the war effort by faithfully selling defense stamps in the Hospital lobby.
Over the course of the next 60 years, the Auxiliary worked tirelessly raising funds for building campaigns, medical equipment, collecting eyeglasses for third world countries, servicing the Hospital chapel, funding breast cancer awareness and most recently establishing a "Clothing Closet" for our neediest patients.
Since inception the University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus Auxiliary has donated well over $1,000,000 to various projects at the Hospital, and our members have donated countless hours of volunteer service.
The Auxiliary's 100th year Anniversary Quilt, 2011
Membership is open to any and all with the desire to serve. In addition to volunteer opportunities, we hold tri-annual general membership luncheon meetings and are members in good standing of the Maryland Association of Hospital Auxiliaries. Annual dues are just $10.00 or you can have a lifetime membership for $100.00. With increased membership we can increase our service to University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus.
While we have faced some challenges, we are proud to say that we are still active and our hard work is a testament to the determination to surmount obstacles, the pride of accomplishment and the joy found in giving of oneself.
Please consider joining us as we work toward our next 100 years.