Call for appointment:410-328-5887 410-328-5887
At the University of Maryland Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology, our team of pediatric endocrinologists, diabetes educators, nutritionists, pediatric nurse practitioners and social workers provides comprehensive care for children and adolescents with Types 1 and 2 diabetes.
Our team approach helps us to develop treatment plans that:
- Help children and adolescents cope daily with their disorder
- Teach them to live well and prepare for a healthy future
- Provide educational resources for children and parents
- Keep blood sugar levels under control
- Reduce long-term complications
Pediatric Diabetes Services
- 24-hour access to trained on-call diabetes staff for emergencies and problems
- Individualized nutrition assistance to teach children and families to maintain a healthy diet
- Lifestyle education to help with school and leisure activities
- Liaison with schools to help families establish routine blood sugar checks and insulin injections
- Focus on intensive management of diabetes, with classes for beginning and continuing insulin pump therapy
- In-hospital care when needed
To make an appointment call 443-682-6800
Intensive Management for Insulin Pump Therapy
University of Maryland Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology at UMMC Midtown Campus expanded its Intensive Management Program for patients and families interested in improving diabetes blood sugar control through insulin pump therapy.
Patients and families interested in this program work closely with the pediatric diabetes team to improve diabetes control with the goal of increasing knowledge and self-management skills, and ultimately decreasing HbA1c and complications risk.
Young Adult Diabetes Practice
This practice is for teenagers and young adults aged 16-21 years who have "graduated" from pediatric diabetes care and would benefit from diabetes care focused on transitioning to adult diabetes care.
Children's Metabolic Practice
This practice focuses on the metabolic complications of obesity including pre-diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure, with the goal of treating the obesity and preventing diabetes and other long term problems.