Acute Care Surgery Fellowship
Program Director: Jose J. Diaz, MD, CNS, FACS, FCCM
Program Coordinator: Josanne Walker
Please go to safas-sccpds.fluidreview.com to complete fellowship application.
The Acute Care Surgery Fellowship program at the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center is an American Association for the Surgery of Trauma verified program for a total of 4 positions.
Acute Care Surgery Fellows must have successfully completed a General Surgery Residency and a Surgical Critical Care fellowship year to be able to matriculate into the second year as an “Instructors in Surgery”.
Qualified applicants should meet the following prerequisites:
- Completion of approved general surgery residency
- Board eligibility or certification by the American Board of Surgery
- Established ability as a teacher of medical students and residents.
- Ability to obtain a State of Maryland Medical License
The fellowship year is divided into two major components to meet the AAST curriculum.
I. Core Rotations (6 month): The fellow rotates on these services as a junior attending with a senior attending to mentor and supervise the fellows progress.
- Trauma @ R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Medical Center
- ACES @ University of Maryland Medical Center
- Soft Tissue @ R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center
- Trauma / Emergency General Surgery @University of Maryland Capital Regional Health
II. Required Rotations (2 months): The fellow rotates on these services as a clinical fellow to obtain additional clinical and operative experience in these specific clinical areas.
- Thoracic Surgery (University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Hospital)
- Vascular Surgery (University of Maryland Medical Center / Baltimore Washington Medical Center / VA Maryland Health Care)
III. Electives (3 Months)
- International: South Africa or London (1 Month)
- Burn: Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center (1 Month)
- Research (1 Month)
- LRU/ECMO (1 Month)
- Any additional II rotations (1 Month)
- Active Military Only: Joint Trauma Systems, Brooke Army Medical Center (1 Month)
IV. Additional Training
- Rib Plating
- IRC Filter Program
- Advance ECMO