UM Upper Chesapeake Health's Hiring Process
University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health (UM UCH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring process involves the following steps to ensure that all potential team members are treated fairly and in accordance with state and federal laws. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin or disability. If assistance is needed when applying for a position for which you are qualified, please contact the UM UCH Human Resources office at 443-643-3400. Maryland Relay speaking/hearing user calls 1-800-201-7165 and TTY user dials 711. To hear a listing of our current open positions please call 1-800-791-9070.
- Application / resume submission. Applications are accepted online. Please look at career opportunities on our Jobs page to apply for any open position for which you may qualify. To ensure the right fit in a position, all applicants are required to answer essay questions attached to the job application.
An acknowledgement email will go out to all candidates that submit their resume or application.
- Pre-employment testing. The following positions have screening tests that must be passed in order to qualify for the position:
Unit Secretary - Medical terminology
Effective July 1, 2015, UM UCH will no longer hire applicants who have nicotine in their system. This could be due to the use of tobacco products such as cigarettes, chewing tobacco, e-cigarettes, or due to the use of smoking cessation products. Such applicants may choose to quit using these products and re-apply for employment at a later date. Clinical nicotine testing will be a part of the pre-placement physical process and all offers of employment are contingent upon successfully passing these screenings. Those already employed by UM UCH will not be impacted but must abide by the rules regarding no tobacco use on either of our campuses including parking lots and garages.
- Interviews. Candidates selected for on-site interviews are normally notified by phone within 2 weeks of submitting their resume or application.
- References and Criminal Background Checks. We check employment references with prior employers for all candidates under serious consideration. Criminal background checks are required for some positions. All confirming offers are contingent upon successful completion of these checks.
- Drug Screening & Pre-placement Physicals. Candidates selected to join our team must successfully complete a pre-placement drug screening and physical assessment, including a PPD. All tests are scheduled and paid for by Upper Chesapeake Health. All confirming offers are contingent upon the successful completion of both tests.
- Confirming Offers. After completing the steps outlined above, a representative from the Human Resources Department will confirm the job offer, determine a mutually acceptable start date and arrange the orientation sessions.