The benefits of participating in cardiac rehabilitation following a heart attack or other cardiac event have been well established. During the first phase of rehab, which began in the hospital, you learned more about the factors that contributed to your heart condition. Now, your cardiac healing and rehabilitation continues in an outpatient setting close to home. Our program, one of the only of its kind in Harford County, provides a medically supervised exercise and education program to help you successfully continue your recovery from a heart attack, bypass surgery, angioplasty, or other cardiac event. It includes:
This is the best lifestyle change you can make to improve your cardiac health. Your exercise training will be tailored for your specific needs and abilities.
- Our specially trained team teaches you how to exercise safely.
- Your individualized exercise plan includes aerobic conditioning, flexibility, balance and strength training exercises.
- The exercise program is geared toward building your fitness level, strengthening your heart, and boosting your confidence. You will also learn how to continue to exercise on your own, once you graduate from the program.
Understanding your illness can lead to life-long, heart-healthy living. Our program brings our experts together to help you and your family learn about heart disease, recover from your cardiac procedure and promote long-term cardiac health. You will learn to develop the skills necessary to make healthy lifestyle changes and make them part of your daily routine. Our in-depth cardiac education teaches you:
- how to improve your diet.
- methods to lower your cholesterol, blood pressure and diabetic markers.
- how to properly take your medicines and what they are used for, possible side effects and food and drug interactions.
- how to quit smoking if you are a smoker.
- important information about recovering from heart disease.
- how to recognize the signs and symptoms of cardiovascular disease.
- how to safely return to your daily activities
- how to prepare to return to work.
- strategies to reduce your risk of another cardiac event.
- strategies to manage stress and anxiety in your life.
- ways to add exercise to your lifestyle once you complete cardiac rehab.
Change is never easy. Our team will work with you to help you understand the changes and challenges you may face. We will teach you coping strategies that will help you come to terms with your heart condition and move on with your life.