From strengthening your heart and body to establishing healthier habits, a good cardiac rehabilitation program is extremely beneficial to your recovery after a heart attack or other cardiac event.
During the first phase of rehab, which began in the hospital, you learned more about the factors that contributed to your heart condition. Now, your cardiac healing and rehabilitation continues in an outpatient setting close to home.
Our cardiac rehabilitation, the only one of its kind in Harford County, provides a medically supervised exercise and education program to help you successfully continue your recovery from a heart attack, bypass surgery, angioplasty or other cardiac condition.
Exercise is the best lifestyle change you can make to improve your cardiac health. Your exercise training will be tailored for your specific needs and abilities.
- Our specially trained therapists teach you how to exercise safely.
- Your individualized exercise plan includes aerobic conditioning, flexibility, balance and strength training exercises.
- This program is geared toward building your fitness level, strengthening your heart and boosting your confidence. You will also learn how to continue to exercise on your own once you graduate from the program.
Understanding your illness can lead to life-long, heart-healthy living. Our program brings our experts together to help you and your family learn about heart disease, recover from your cardiac procedure and promote long-term cardiac health. You will learn to develop the skills necessary to make healthy lifestyle changes a part of your daily routine.
Our in-depth cardiac education includes:
- how to improve your diet.
- methods to lower your cholesterol, blood pressure and diabetic markers.
- understanding what your medications are for, taking them properly and knowing possible side effects, as well as food and drug interactions.
- how to quit smoking.
- important information about recovering from heart disease.
- how to recognize the signs and symptoms of cardiovascular disease.
- how to safely return to your daily activities
- how to prepare to return to work.
- strategies to reduce your risk of another cardiac event.
- strategies to manage stress and anxiety in your life.
Change is never easy. Having a heart attack or other cardiac event is scary, and recovery takes time. Our team will teach you coping strategies that will help you come to terms with your heart condition and move on with your life. When you understand more about heart disease, you can develop stronger heart health.
Ask your doctor if you could benefit from cardiac rehabilitation. For more information, please call 443-643-3729.