What is a Community Benefit?
Community benefit includes activities that are intended to address community needs and priorities primarily through disease prevention and improvement of health status, including:
- Health services provided to vulnerable or underserved populations
- Financial or in-kind support of public health programs
- Donations of funds, property or other resources that contribute to a community priority
- Health care cost containment activities
- Health education, screening and prevention services
Annually, UM St. Joseph Medical Center (UM SJMC) submits a report to the state of Maryland which details the amount and type of community benefit programs provided by the hospitals. These reports summarize the broad range of health and support activities we offer to meet the needs of the community.
UM SJMC submits community benefit information to the federal government annually on its IRS Form 990, Schedule H.
UM SJMC touches thousands of lives each year in a mission to empower and build healthy communities.
In summary for Fiscal Year 2022:
- $53,404,569 spent (Net Community Benefit) by UM SJMC