Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency Application
Application to the program is administered through RF-PTCAS.
Applications will be accepted annually and chosen through a competitive process. Candidates should meet these prerequisites to be considered for the residency:
- Graduate from a CAPTE accredited physical therapy program and/or a international physical therapist has a graduate degree from a US-based regionally-accredited program.
- Admission is contingent upon applicant obtaining a Maryland Physical Therapy license prior to start date.
- Comply with all University of Maryland Medical Center employment requirements. To include but are not limited to:
- Successful background check
- TB testing
- Flu vaccination or declination
- CPR certification (from the American Heart Association)
- Submit a letter of application to enter the program along with a current resume or CV
- Complete the application within the approved deadline
- Successful completion of an in-person interview
- TOEFL** (Test of English as a Foreign Language) - If English is not your native/first language, you must meet one of the following language proficiency requirements:
- Internet-based: Minimum score of 82 (24 Writing, 20 Speaking, 22 Reading, 16 Listening).
- Computer-based: Minimum score of 213.
Applicants that have successfully completed an undergraduate or graduate degree at an accredited US institution do not need to provide a TOEFL score.
Applicants are evaluated on:
- Academic background. Transcripts must be provided.
- Clinical education, internships and mentoring experiences
- Letters of recommendation (at least 3)
- Essay indicating reasons why the candidate wants to be a part of the residency
- Clinical experience in orthopedics
- Research experience and interest
- Have a global perspective of the field of orthopedics
- Successfully completed orthopedic rotations or have clinical experience in this area
- Possess strong problem solving and communication skills
Please see the ABPTRFE financial fact sheet for current information about the cost of attendance of the University of Maryland Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency.
For more information, please email Program Coordinator, Mike Swoboda, PT, MPT, OCS firstname.lastname@example.org.