Emergency Department Services
For a life-threatening emergency, dial 911.
UMMC Midtown Campus Emergency Department provides 24-hour evaluation and emergency treatment for patients of all ages. The experienced team of emergency experts is specially trained to treat a variety of conditions, from minor injuries to serious illnesses, including:
- Chest pain: A complete evaluation is conducted in the ED, including EKG, blood work and risk stratification
- Stroke: UMMC Midtown Campus is a designated Primary Stroke Center
- Behavioral Health Illness: The ED has its own behavioral unit that provides safe and specialized care and support for patients experiencing a behavioral health crisis
- Congestive heart failure
- Pulmonary (lung) conditions, such as COPD, asthma and pneumonia
- Gastrointestinal (GI) health issues
- Kidney failure
- Diabetic complications
- Infectious diseases
- Geriatrics: evaluation and diagnostic care for the elderly
- Minor orthopaedic trauma and injuries
ED patients are stabilized, then either discharged, transferred to the appropriate specialty facility or admitted to UMMC Midtown Campus for care.
The UMMC Midtown Campus ED is an extension of the University of Maryland Medical Center ED. The department is led by University of Maryland Medical Center School of Medicine faculty physicians, and ED patients from UMMC are often transferred to UMMC Midtown Campus to ensure patients are quickly provided beds if their condition requires an overnight stay.
For more information about emergency care at UMMC Midtown Campus, call 410-225-8100.