Call for appointment:410-706-5543 410-706-5543
The Division of Child Protection, also known as the Center for Families, is focused on the problem of child abuse and neglect. We work with federal, state and local organizations, as well as private groups, that are committed to ensuring the safety of all children. Our research and teaching continually examines the effects of maltreatment and abuse on children and adolescents.
Child Protection Program Goals
- Provide support and consults for children who have been abused or neglected, or who may be at risk
- Provide education and training on child abuse, neglect and intimate partner (or domestic) violence
- Build collaborative relationships within the UMMC and with the community for addressing and preventing maltreatment
- Engage in continuous quality improvement
- Develop policies for UMMC pertaining to child maltreatment
- The Safe Environment for Every Kid (SEEK) project focuses on identifying and addressing major psychosocial problems (depression, substance abuse, intimate partner violence) that families may be facing.
- Our Care Clinic, funded by the Maryland Department of Human Resources and the United Way, provides treatment to abused and neglected children and their families free of charge.
- The Maryland Child Abuse Medical Providers (CHAMP) program, funded by the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, is developing a statewide network of doctors and nurses, expert in the area of child maltreatment.
- Our Child Advocacy Centers coordinate the evaluation of children suspected of having been sexually abused.
- The Pediatric Emergency Department (PED) specializes in the evaluation and management of children and young adults who are suspected of having been sexually abused or assaulted.
Learn more about our clinical programs and research in child protection.
Our faculty and staff are active in advocating for improved laws, policies and programs concerning child maltreatment at the local, state, and national levels.
Howard Dubowitz, MD, MS, FAAP
Professor of Pediatrics
Head, Division of Child Protection; Director, Center for Families
520 W Lombard St.
Baltimore, MD 21201