Why Choose UMGCCC?
If you or someone you love has been diagnosed with cancer, the decision about where to go for care can be very stressful. You want a place that provides the highest quality care available, delivered in a compassionate environment by people who will treat you like a person, not a number.
Here are just a few of the many reasons to choose the University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center (UMGCCC):
- A National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated comprehensive cancer center, putting us in the top tier of centers nationwide for state-of-the-art cancer research
- State-of-the-art outpatient center, the Stoler Pavilion, providing a convenient, central "home base" for cancer patients and their families
- True multidisciplinary approach to care, where specialists in medical, surgical and radiation oncology meet with new patients in a single visit
- Minimally invasive therapies for treating most types of cancer, including:
- Robot-assisted surgery for urologic, gynecologic, and head & neck cancer surgery
- Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation for breast cancer
- Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy, the most advanced radiation therapy for cancer
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- SIR-Spheres treatment for liver cancer – the first in Maryland
- Gamma Knife radiosurgery for brain tumors – the first in the Mid-Atlantic
- Cryosurgery for kidney cancer
- New, targeted chemotherapy drugs
- Immediate access to appointments, in most cases within one week of your first call
- Specialized clinical services for treating all types of cancer
- Internationally recognized experts in cancer care
- More than 200 clinical trials offering access to the newest therapies currently available
- A dedicated Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplant unit
- "Bench to bedside" research, designed to rapidly bring new treatments to patients
- Communication and follow-up with local referring physicians, with the goal of returning patients to their “home” physician as soon as possible
- An outstanding nursing staff, that recently achieved Magnet Status from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- A convenient location in Baltimore, just blocks from Camden Yards and Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, with accessible parking, hotels, restaurants and shops
- And, perhaps most important of all, satisfied patients. Read some of their Success Stories.
View or download the UMGCCC Fact Sheet for quick facts about the many programs and services we offer.