Three University of Maryland Medical System Hospitals Earn High Rankings Among U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best Hospitals
UM St. Joseph Medical Center Earns Recognition As #1 Community Hospital In Maryland
For The Third Year In A Row
BALTIMORE (July 27, 2021) - Three University of Maryland Medical System hospitals - the University of Maryland Medical Center, UM St. Joseph Medical Center and UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center – have earned high rankings in U.S. News & World Report's 2021 Best Hospitals, released today.
- UMMC, the System's flagship academic hospital with two campuses located in Baltimore City, is ranked as #2 both in the state of Maryland and Baltimore Metro area. UMMC also ranked #28 nationally for the Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) specialty and as "high performing" in Cancer, Gastroenterology and GI Surgery, Orthopaedics and Urology services.
- UM SJMC, located in Towson in Baltimore County, is ranked #3 in the state and Baltimore Metro for the third consecutive year.
- UM BWMC, located in Glen Burnie in Anne Arundel County, is ranked #10 in Maryland and #8 in the Baltimore Metro.
- Additionally, the University of Maryland Children's Hospital is again ranked as one of the "Best Children's Hospitals for Cardiology and Heart Surgery."
"These rankings are representative of the efforts that all of our System hospitals are engaged in to transform health care, with a focus on delivering compassionate, high-quality patient and family-centered care," said Mohan Suntha, MD, MBA, President and CEO of UMMS. "Earning such recognition speaks to the relentless commitment of our workforce to the health and well-being of communities we serve here in Maryland and beyond."
The U.S. News rankings are designed to assist patients and their doctors in making informed decisions about where to receive care for challenging health conditions or for common elective procedures.
Quotes from hospital leaders:
"In a COVID year, where the world's focus was to care for patients through a pandemic, it is a testament to the high-quality standards, innovation, and heart of our clinical teams to be nationally ranked once again," said Bert W. O'Malley, MD, President and Chief Executive Officer of UMMC. "We are proud of our University of Maryland Medical Center faculty physicians, employees, and other team members and appreciate the recognition among the best in the country."
"This accomplishment is a testament to our unrelenting commitment to high-quality, safe and effective patient care," said Thomas B. Smyth, MD, President and CEO of UM St. Joseph Medical Center. "This milestone recognition is the culmination of our ongoing work to standardize clinical excellence for optimal patient outcomes. We are most proud of our designation as the highest-ranking community hospital in Maryland because of what it means to our patients: access to unrivaled, leading-edge, compassionate community-based care."
"UM BWMC is proud to once again be recognized by U.S. News & World Report for our high-quality health care services," said UM BWMC President and CEO Kathy McCollum. "These rankings are a reflection of our dedicated team members who are committed to providing exceptional care to the communities we are privileged to serve."
Seven UMMS hospitals also were recognized by U.S. News as "High Performing" in specific procedures:
- UMMC: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair, Aortic Valve Surgery, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Colon Cancer Surgery, Heart Attack, Heart Bypass Surgery, Heart Failure, Kidney Failure, Lung Cancer Surgery, Pneumonia, Stroke and Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- UM SJMC: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair, Aortic Valve Surgery, Back Surgery (Spinal Infusion), COPD, Colon Cancer Surgery, Heart Attack, Heart Bypass Surgery, Heart Failure, Hip Replacement, Kidney Failure, Knee Replacement and Stroke
- UM BWMC: COPD, Colon Cancer Surgery, Diabetes, Heart Failure, Kidney Failure, Lung Cancer Surgery and Stroke
- UM Prince George's Medical Center: COPD, Diabetes, Heart Attack, Heart Failure and Kidney Failure
- UM Upper Chesapeake Medical Center: COPD, Colon Cancer Surgery, Heart Failure and Stroke
- UM Charles Regional Medical Center: COPD and Kidney Failure
- UM Shore Medical Center at Easton: COPD
About the University of Maryland Medical System
The University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) is a university-based regional health care system focused on serving the health care needs of Maryland, bringing innovation, discovery and research to the care we provide and educating the state's future physician and health care professionals through our partnership with the University of Maryland School of Medicine and University of Maryland, Baltimore professional schools (Nursing, Pharmacy, Social Work and Dentistry) in Baltimore. As one of the largest private employers in the State, the health system's more than 29,500 employees and 4,000 affiliated physicians provide primary and specialty care in more than 150 locations, including 13 hospitals and 9 University of Maryland Urgent Care centers. The UMMS flagship academic campus, the University of Maryland Medical Center in downtown Baltimore, is recognized regionally and nationally for excellence and innovation in specialized care. Our acute care and specialty rehabilitation hospitals serve urban, suburban and rural communities and are located in 13 counties across the State. For more information, visit www.umms.org.