U.S. News & World Report’s 2022 “Best Hospitals” Ranks Three University of Maryland Medical System Hospitals Among Top Seven In Maryland
BALTIMORE (July 26, 2022) - Three University of Maryland Medical System hospitals - the University of Maryland Medical Center (Downtown Campus), UM St. Joseph Medical Center and UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center – rank among the top six hospitals in the Baltimore region and among the top seven in the state, according to the U.S. News & World Report's 2022 Best Hospitals, released today.
"It is an extremely proud moment for our System to have three of our member organization hospitals recognized as among the best in Maryland," said Mohan Suntha, MD, MBA, President and Chief Executive Officer of UMMS. "Our team members work tirelessly to bring the advances of academic medicine to patient care at the bedside, and the prestigious U.S. News rankings are validation of our efforts to deliver the highest quality and safest care possible."
- UMMC, the System's flagship academic hospital located in Baltimore City, is ranked as #2 both in the state of Maryland and Baltimore Metro area. UMMC also ranked #44 nationally for the Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) specialty and as "High Performing" in Cancer, Gastroenterology and GI Surgery, Orthopaedics, Pulmonary and Lung Surgery, and Urology services. Earlier this year, the University of Maryland Children's Hospital, located at UMMC, was ranked as one of the "Best Children's Hospitals for Cardiology and Heart Surgery" for the fifth consecutive year.
- UM SJMC, located in Towson in Baltimore County, is ranked #3 in the state and Baltimore Metro for the third consecutive year.
- UM BWMC, located in Glen Burnie in Anne Arundel County, is ranked #7 in Maryland and #6 in the Baltimore Metro.
Eight UMMS hospitals also were recognized by U.S. News as "High Performing" in specific procedures:
- UMMC (Downtown Campus): Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair, Aortic Valve Surgery, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Colon Cancer Surgery, Heart Attack, Heart Bypass Surgery, Heart Failure, Kidney Failure, Lung Cancer Surgery, Ovarian Cancer Surgery, Pneumonia and Stroke
- UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center: COPD, Colon Cancer Surgery, Diabetes, Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Kidney Failure, Lung Cancer Surgery and Stroke
- UM Capital Region Medical Center: COPD, Diabetes, Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Kidney Failure and Stroke
- UM Charles Regional Medical Center: COPD, Kidney Failure and Stroke
- UM Harford Memorial Hospital: COPD
- UM St. Joseph Medical Center: Aortic Valve Surgery, Back Surgery (Spinal Infusion), COPD, Colon Cancer Surgery, Heart Attack, Heart Bypass Surgery, Heart Failure, Hip Fracture, Hip Replacement, Kidney Failure, Knee Replacement and Stroke
- UM Shore Medical Center at Easton: COPD and Stroke
- UM Upper Chesapeake Medical Center: COPD, Colon Cancer Surgery, Heart Attack, Heart Failure and Stroke
The U.S. News rankings are designed to assist patients and their doctors in making informed decisions about where to receive care for challenging health conditions or for common elective procedures.
Quotes from UMMS hospital leaders:
"Every day our clinical teams and staff deliver outstanding patient care innovative therapies and exceptional quality to patients from across Maryland and beyond," said Bert W. O'Malley, MD, President and Chief Executive Officer, UMMC. "I'm proud to see their expertise and unwavering commitment to consistently raising the bar recognized nationally."
"In the midst of the ongoing pandemic, which continues to bring unexpected and often severe health challenges to individuals and families throughout the state, we take a special pride in remaining among Maryland's top, trusted health care providers," said Thomas Smyth, President and Chief Executive Officer for UM SJMC. "This recognition of excellence by U.S. News & World report affirms, once again, that our steadfast focus on patient safety and high quality, compassionate care makes UM St. Joseph Medical Center one of the best places in Maryland to find life-changing and life-saving medical care."
"We are honored to be recognized by U.S. News & World Report for a fifth consecutive year for our medical excellence," said Kathy McCollum, President and Chief Executive Officer of UM BWMC. "We pride ourselves on being the source of expert primary and specialty care for our community. These rankings reflect the dedication and hard work of our outstanding team, who, despite the many challenges faced during our response to the COVID-19 pandemic, remained steadfastly committed to delivering high-quality care and personalized service to our patients."
About the University of Maryland Medical System
The University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) is an academic private health system, focused on delivering compassionate, high quality care and putting discovery and innovation into practice at the bedside. Partnering with the University of Maryland School of Medicine and University of Maryland, Baltimore who educate the state's future health care professionals, UMMS is an integrated network of care, delivering 25 percent of all hospital care in urban, suburban and rural communities across the state of Maryland. UMMS puts academic medicine within reach through primary and specialty care delivered at 11 hospitals, including the flagship University of Maryland Medical Center, the System's anchor institution in downtown Baltimore, as well as through a network of 10 University of Maryland Urgent Care centers and more than 150 other locations in 13 counties. For more information, visit www.umms.org.