U.S. News & World Report Names UM St. Joseph Medical Center Among the Top Three Hospitals in Maryland and Baltimore Metro Area
University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center Earns Recognition As #1 Community Hospital in Maryland for the Third Year in a Row.
TOWSON, MD - Three University of Maryland Medical System hospitals, including UM St. Joseph Medical Center, have earned high rankings in U.S. News & World Report's 2021 Best Hospitals, released today.
- UMMC, the System's flagship academic hospital with two campuses located in Baltimore City, is ranked as #2 both in the state of Maryland and Baltimore Metro area. UMMC is also ranked nationally for the Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) specialty and as "high performing" in Cancer, Gastroenterology and GI Surgery, Orthopaedics and Urology services.
- UM St. Joseph Medical Center, located in Towson in Baltimore County, is ranked #3 in the state and Baltimore Metro area for the third consecutive year, and is once again the top-ranking community hospital in Maryland.
- UM BWMC, located in Glen Burnie in Anne Arundel County, is ranked #10 in Maryland and #8 in the Baltimore Metro area.
- Additionally, the University of Maryland Children's Hospital is again ranked as one of the "Best Children's Hospitals for Cardiology and Heart Surgery."
"These rankings are representative of the efforts that all of our System hospitals are engaged in to transform health care, with a focus on delivering compassionate, high-quality patient and family-centered care," said Mohan Suntha, MD, MBA, President and CEO of UMMS. "Earning such recognition speaks to the relentless commitment of our workforce to the health and well-being of communities we serve here in Maryland and beyond."
The U.S. News rankings are designed to assist patients and their doctors in making informed decisions about where to receive care for challenging health conditions or for common elective procedures.
"This accomplishment is a testament to our unrelenting commitment to high-quality, safe and effective care," said Thomas B. Smyth, MD, President and CEO of UM St. Joseph Medical Center. "This milestone recognition is the culmination of our ongoing work to standardize clinical excellence for optimal patient outcomes. We are most proud of our designation as the highest-ranking community hospital in Maryland because of what it means to our patients: access to leading-edge, compassionate community-based care."
Seven UMMS hospitals also were recognized by U.S. News as "High Performing" in specific procedures. UM St. Joseph excelled in the following categories:
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Aortic Valve Surgery
- Back Surgery (Spinal Infusion)
- Colon Cancer Surgery
- Heart Attack
- Heart Bypass Surgery
- Heart Failure
- Hip Replacement
- Kidney Failure
- Knee Replacement
About UM St. Joseph Medical Center
Founded in 1864 by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia, UM St. Joseph Medical Center is a 218-bed Catholic, not-for-profit regional medical center in Towson, Maryland, that offers a wide range of superb clinical programs and centers of excellence, including the Cancer, Heart and Orthopaedic Institutes, Women and Children's services and Emergency Medicine. The medical center's committed focus on zero patient harm, clinical excellence and perfect patient experiences spurred the creation of the hospital's unique approach to care, The UM St. Joseph Value Delivery System, and has consistently earned UM St. Joseph regional and national recognition for patient care and safety, including its ranking as the #1 community hospital in Maryland by U.S. News & World Report. UM St. Joseph is a proud member of the 13-hospital University of Maryland Medical System, dedicated to providing loving service and compassionate, leading-edge care to all. For more information, visit umstjoseph.org.