Wheelchair Seating Clinic
Call for appointment:410-448-6706 410-448-6706
With walking and mobility issues or limitations, individuals may require a specialized wheelchair and seating system. Most insurance companies require a Wheelchair and Seating Evaluation in order to provide funding for the necessary equipment.
A properly fitting wheelchair and seating system will improve:
- Seated posture
- Skin health
- Interacting with the environment
- Functional independence with activities of daily living
At the University of Maryland Rehabilitation and Orthopaedic Institute, Occupational and Physical therapists and RESNA-certified Assistive Technology Professionals (ATPs) can assist in making decisions about seating and mobility devices to best meet their individual needs.
Evaluations can be provided for the following equipment (subject to insurance approval):
- Manual wheelchairs
- Power wheelchairs
- Seating systems, including seat cushions, specialty back supports and other accessories
- Posture evaluation to determine the consumer’s needs
- Evaluation of current manual and/or power wheelchair
- Demonstration of wheelchairs and seating products for trial and to generate recommendations for prescription
- Computerized pressure mapping to determine proper seating that will improve seated pressure distribution and promote wound healing
- Fitting of prescribed equipment when ready for delivery to ensure proper fit
- Wheelchair mobility skills training
A physician’s referral is required for a Wheelchair Seating Evaluation.
To contact the Wheelchair Seating Clinic please call 410-448-6706 or fax 410-448-6459.