For Inpatient Admission:410-448-6260 410-448-6260
For Medical Appointments:
For Therapy Appointments:
The Limb Loss and Amputee Rehabilitation Program at the University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute (UM Rehab) is here to guide you on your path to recovery.
Through our inpatient and outpatient services, you will gain the knowledge, strength and confidence needed to achieve your full potential.
We do more than provide treatment, such as wound care, prosthetics, and physical and occupational therapies. We comfort and motivate you as you deal with the emotional challenges of losing a limb through support groups, adapted sports and other activities.
Inpatient Limb Loss Rehabilitation
While you are in the hospital, our team will create a personalized treatment plan that includes medical interventions, physical rehabilitation and psychosocial (mental, emotional, social and spiritual) support.
Because the ultimate goal is to prepare you for a successful return home, our focus during your inpatient rehabilitation will be on functional recovery, including mobility and self-care skills.
By restoring functional mobility and improving strength during the inpatient phase of rehabilitation, we set the stage for a successful transition to outpatient rehabilitation.
Outpatient Limb Loss Rehabilitation
After you are released from the hospital, our team of experts will help you adjust to life, with a prosthetic. Our therapists work with you to improve your strength and conditioning, and increase your levels of activity.
Outpatient Limb Loss Services
- Pre-prosthetic preparation
- Prosthetic training
- Wheelchair training
- Physical therapy to improve strength, coordination, balance and functional mobility
- Occupational therapy to improve the performance of daily living activities
- Functional independence improvement by practicing different real-world scenarios
Outpatient therapy is provided at:
- University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute
- University of Maryland Rehabilitation Institute at Woodlawn
Our support groups are educational forums that connect you to people who share the same challenges. Although education is the main focus of these meetings, time is allowed for socializing and networking. Activities include:
- Presentations on topics related to limb loss or amputation
- Monthly caregivers support group meetings that are open to all caregivers of people with any disability, disease or condition
We also offer classes and events for those who have experienced limb loss.
For more detailed information about our program, download the free Amputation Rehabilitation Patient Guide.
Your Recovery Team
Our experts work closely with you, your family and caregivers throughout the rehabilitation process.
Our team of clinical experts is made up of:
- Physicians specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Certified rehabilitation nurses
- Case managers
- Physical, occupational, recreational and respiratory therapists
- Speech-language pathologists
- Clinical dietitians
- Certified orthotic and prosthetic practitioners