These tips may help you deal with your emotional care during treatment and recovery.
- Know What to Expect. Find out all you can about your cancer.
- Have A Support System. Consider a formal support group in addition to friends and family.
- Stay Active. Stay involved in activities you enjoy and keep busy indoors and out, but remember to relax, rest and eat often.
- Be Proactive. Be active in your treatment process.
- Set Reasonable Goals. Try to gain control with a sense of purpose and set small goals one at a time.
- Take Time to Heal. Find things that bring you joy and look for a connection to something greater than yourself.
Get Up and Move
- Walk, stretch and get more physical activity.
- You may exercise 10-30 minutes on most days.
- Always check with your health care team before restarting exercise.
Practice Stress Management
- Try meditation or deep breathing.
- Take a yoga class. Practice stretching.
- Consider Reiki.
- Get a massage.
Sleep at Night
- Sleep in a dark room. No lights or television.
- Aim to sleep 7-8 hours per night.
- Nap during the day if you need to, but limit nap time to 20 minutes.
- Sleep in a calm, relaxing place.
- Don't smoke. Stay away from second-hand smoke.
- Limit exposure to dry cleaning, new carpet or furniture, and paint.
- Use vinegar or chemical-free household cleaners.
- Limit UV light exposure (sun) to 10 minutes, three times per day