How to Apply and Important Dates - NSIP
The 2023 Application Portal will be available on December 1, 2022.
- Application Components
- The application includes an essay describing your career and educational goals and interest in cancer biology. Discuss how the NSIP experience will help you to attain your goals (8000 character limit).
- Transcript of your grades (must include Fall semester grades and be submitted electronically if possible). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted for the review process.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
To apply using our online application portal, follow this link, to create an account. Click “Apply”, then “Create Account.” Once you verify your email, you may need to login again. To begin the application, select “Search Opportunities” on the dashboard page, then “UMGCCC”, “Apply”, “Get Started”, and “Begin Application” to complete all of the requested information.
- In the “Documents” section, upload your essay (see above) and transcripts (official or unofficial). You may also upload a resume/CV (optional).
- In the “References” section, please provide the contact information for each reference. An email requesting a recommendation letter will be sent to each reference.
- If you are sending official transcripts, they can be sent to NSIP@som.umaryland.edu.
Important NSIP dates
- December 1: Application period opens.
- February 15: All application materials, including letters of recommendation, must be received (see below).
- March 15 (or earlier): Interns will be notified of the selection committee’s decision; applicants offered an NSIP internship must respond within the specified period with their decision to accept or decline the offer.
- End of May: NSIP begins, all interns must report to the UMSOM for orientation, safety and ethics training, and the laboratory practice and techniques course.
- June-July: Laboratory research, clinical shadowing, professional development and more. See NSIP schedule.
- End of July: Oral and poster presentations of intern research, program evaluation and exit interview.
If you have any questions, please contact NSIP@som.umaryland.edu.