Gastrointestinal Cancer Diagnostic and Treatment Services
Call for appointment:410-328-7904 410-328-7904
Our team of specialists offers a full range of diagnostic and treatment services designed to provide patients with the most effective care possible. Specialized treatment services include:
- Minimally invasive robotic surgery for GI cancer, including:
- Abdominoperineal resection (APR)
- Sphincter Preservation Surgery for rectal cancer
- Hepatic resection
- Gastrectomy for gastric cancer and GIST
- Liver-Directed Therapies Program, including:
- Major and complex surgery for metastatic and primary liver tumors
- Laparoscopic surgery for primary and metastatic liver malignancies
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) -- percutaneous, laparoscopic and open approaches
- Selective Internal Radiation Therapy (SIRT)
- Complex surgical procedures for pancreatic cancer (Whipple Procedure), esophageal, gastric and hepatobiliary malignancies
- Tumor debulking (cytoreductive) surgery with Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy for abdominal carcinomatosis (from appendix, colorectal, ovarian and primary peritoneal malignancies; peritoneal mesothelioma and sarcomatosis)
- Minimally invasive, laparoscopic procedures for staging, and for resection of colon cancer and adrenal tumors
- Endorectal and endoscopic ultrasonography for precise staging and early detection of cancer
- Advanced endoscopic and interventional radiology techniques for pancreatic and biliary (gallbladder and bile duct) cancers
- Cancer risk assessment and genetic counseling
Other Services Include:
- Consultations for newly diagnosed and recurrent cancers
- Diagnostic ultrasound, MRI, CT scan
- Nuclear medicine studies
- PET scan
- Interventional radiology and intralesional therapy such as ethanol injection for ablation of tumors
- Combination therapies to increase response rates and survival
- Segmental resection for primary and metastatic liver tumors
- Brachytherapy (high and low dose rate) of difficult to reach lesions to achieve higher local dose rates
- Laser therapy
- Treatment of metastatic disease to maximize quality of life and relieve discomfort
Patients have complete access to the full range of medical support services at the University of Maryland Medical Center.
Treatment Follow-up and Communication
Communication with patients, family members and referring physicians is important. Throughout the patient's participation in the program, we keep all parties updated on the course and success of treatment and encourage patients and families to take an active role in the treatment planning process. We value the relationships our patients have with their personal physicians and make every effort to ensure that they are informed.
Research is a vitally important part of our work because it leads us to new ways to diagnose and care for our patients. As part of our commitment to research, staff members lead national cooperative group studies and offer state-of-the-art clinical trials to all patients whose disease matches the appropriate criteria. We are developing innovative approaches to diagnostic evaluation and treatment in addition to being leaders in modern molecular and laboratory approaches to diagnostic treatment.
We make every effort to schedule new patient consultations within 24 to 48 hours. Compassion and caring is the foundation of our interactions with patients and their families. We believe in treating the whole person, not just the disease. Our support services help patients and families cope with the stress that accompanies a major illness.
If you would like to schedule an appointment, or if you are a physician with a patient who would benefit from the Center's expertise and treatment, please call us at 1-800-888-8823.