Call for appointment:410-328-1219 410-328-1219
The Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES) program at the University of Maryland Medical Center provides a single point of entry for people over 18 years of age in need of urgent psychiatric assessment, evaluation and referral. Services are provided on a walk-in basis and access to psychiatric and addiction resources are available.
PES is a 24-hour-a-day service provided for psychiatric emergencies for both voluntary and involuntary patients, primarily for the residents of Baltimore City and surrounding counties.
This program has about 3,600 visits a year. Our staff performs triage, evaluation and admission services. The treatment team features a multidisciplinary approach, with professionals from psychiatry, social work, psychiatric nursing, chemical dependency and community mental health.
- Diagnostic psychiatric evaluations for the presence of a mental illness.
- Assessment and reassessment.
- If necessary, admission to inpatient facility.
- Crisis intervention related to a psychiatric illness.
- Linkage and referral to ongoing mental health services.
- Referrals may be given for medical, dental, legal, social, or substance abuse services.
- Ambulatory detoxification services are provided by referral only in conjunction with enrollment in an intensive treatment program.
Services are designed to assist patients in urgent or emergent crises. Medication refills, competency evaluations, or evaluations for legal and disability claims will be referred to outpatient providers.
The PES professional staff provides consultation services to the adult emergency department and pediatric emergency departments. Collaboration with the adult emergency department occurs when patients have co-morbid complex medical or surgical conditions.
Patients' special needs – including language barriers, cognitive disabilities and psychosocial stressors – are addressed through interdisciplinary intake, evaluation and assessment. Referrals for disposition and community support services reflect the patient's unique needs and the team develops a plan of care that is the most appropriate for the patient.
Location and Contact Info22 S Greene St
Twelfth Floor, North Elevators
Baltimore, MD 21201