Resources for Jewish Patients
The University of Maryland Medical Center is committed to serving the religious needs of Jewish patients.
We do this in many ways, including:
- Providing a Kosher Pantry, stocked with food from Bikur Cholim, that includes a refrigerator, freezer, microwave, sink, conference-sized table for Shabbat meals and a bed for Shabbat stays.
- Offering Kosher meals for inpatients, catered by local Star-K caterer: Yaffa, all low in salt.
- Providing portable refrigerator and electric Shabbat candles for patient rooms.
- Offering access to ritual supplies for: Shabbat, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, Chanukah, Purim, and Passover. Daily prayer books also available.
- Helping celebrate Shabbat and holidays as comfortably as possible, including special services for:
- Simchat Torah
We collaborate with Bikur Cholim (the Committee for Visiting the Sick) and the Chevra Kadisha (the Burial Society) to offer these resources.
For more information or to access these services before or during a hospital admission, please call 410-328-6014. If you need these services after hours, please ask your nurse to page the Chaplain.